So what can I tell you about food combining, the belief that eating certain foods together leads to weight loss, as well as a number of other health benefits.
Well, after readingFood Combinations for Weight Loss: Do They Work? at Healthline.com, Ill say the title is nicely done. Written in question form, it makes you want to read on to learn the answer.
But whether the answer is a yes or a no for you, my friend, ultimately depends upon the manner in which you do the food combining. As the Healthline article notes, the problem with many food combining suggestions now making the rounds is that they appear arbitrary, and not based on research.
And in other articles where I found research cited to support specific food combinations . . . well, its like putting your dachshunds sweater on your neighbors Dalmatian. You know, a bit of a stretch.
For instance, when Christina Stiehl suggests eating eggs, spinach, and avocado oil together in 20 Food Combos to Triple Your Weight Loss at EatThis.com, she cites two studies that make me wonder if using a Great Dane instead of a Dalmatian wouldve been better in the doggie-sweater analogy.
After calling eggs a satisfying choice for a meal or a snack and one that will will help you lose weight because of the appetite-suppressing 6 grams of protein found in each large egg, Stiehl adds but so will the amino acid arginine and refers to a study published in the Journal of Dietary Supplements. That study found obese women given arginine supplements lost average of 6.5 pounds in a 12-week period, which is all well and good.
But this isnt.
A WebMD.com article, Top Foods High in Arginine, lists 16 foods as containing particularly high amounts of the aforementioned amino acid found in complete protein sources like red meat, poultry, fish, and dairy products - and theres no mention of eggs.
Stiehl then mentions a study published in the journal Appetite that found people who consumed thylakoids lost more weight than those who didnt. Thylakoids, by the way, are disk-shaped, membranous sacs in the chloroplasts of green plants.
All green plants. Not just spinach. So wouldnt asparagus, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, or even green beans work in this food combination just as well?
And why use avocado oil at all? Just because its rich in satisfying monounsaturated fats?
Satisfying or not, avocado oil, regarded as a good fat because moderate amounts will not adversely affect your cardiovascular health, has just as many calories per gram as saturated and trans fat - which is 225 percent more calories per gram than protein or complex carbohydrates. So how could any amount of it play a role in an eating strategy designed for weight loss?
Now Im not trying to make Stiehl look bad here, but scrutinizing one of her suggested food combinations gives credence to what comes next. Because it can be a such crap shoot, food combining isnt the best way to go.
Combining certain macronutrients - while avoiding others - is.
I call this practice nutrient partitioning as John Parrillo first did about 40 years ago after repeatedly altering the diets of competitive bodybuilders successfully. So successfully that nutrient partitioning has become a keystone to his trademarked system, the Parrillo Performance Nutrition Program.
In his writings, however, he doesnt use that phrase often any more. When I do, though, I give him credit.
In short - and as found in Parrillos Nutritional Bulletin #135 - the premise behind nutrient portioning is easy to follow.
Create meals that include protein, complex carbs, and a starchy carbohydrate like oatmeal, squash, rice, white or sweet potatoes. Eat protein and fiber in large amounts, but determine the amount of starchy carbs to be consumed on whether you want to build muscle, maintain your current weight, or lose body fat.
Since I criticized the murky science behind food combining, let me remind you of some thats been long established about digesting dietary fat: Its easy for the body to do. Really easy.
So much so that about 98 percent of the fat eaten in excess becomes stored body fat.
Similarly, about 95 percent of simple carbs consumed in excess becomes body fat.
Protein, however, is far more difficult for your body to digest, so that when it is consumed in excess, 20 to 30 percent of it gets wasted in the process. Complex carbs are about twice as hard to digest as simple ones and the fiber found in complex carbs cannot be digested at all.
From all this, Im sure you can generate an accurate summary of the Fitness Master food philosophy and see why its preferable to food combining. That while sprinkling cinnamon on your oatmeal, adding cayenne pepper to your sandwich, or lemon and mint to the green tea cant hurt your weight-loss effort, there is better help.
Read more from the original source:
Fitness Master food philosophy, 'food combining': not the same Times News Online - tnonline.com
- Nootropics: what are they and why were hearing more about them - Chicago Sun-Times - October 1st, 2022
- 12 Amazing Ginger Green Tea Benefits For Skin, Hair & Health - September 14th, 2022
- Green Coffee Vs. Black Coffee: Know The Difference - Slurrp - September 14th, 2022
- Green Tea Vs. Matcha: What's The Difference? - Tasting Table - August 29th, 2022
- 6 Best Times to Drink Green Tea - Simple Loose Leaf Tea Company - August 21st, 2022
- Peanut Skins: More than Meets the Eye - Agricultural Research - August 21st, 2022
- Is green tea just for weight loss? Know 5 other benefits of the medicinal drink - DNA India - August 13th, 2022
- 5 types of tea and their health benefits - Yahoo - August 13th, 2022
- Akron native brings passion for tea to Kenmore with SRINA Tea House - Akron Beacon Journal - August 13th, 2022
- 5 Worst Drinking Habits Slowing Your Metabolism After 50 - Eat This, Not That - August 13th, 2022
- What are Flavonoids and what are its benefits? - Business Upturn - August 13th, 2022
- Proffee (Protein & Coffee): The New Health Trend Brewing on TikTok - Healthline - August 13th, 2022
- 10 health benefits of celery juice, recipe & more - PINKVILLA - August 13th, 2022
- Are You Drinking Green Tea At The Wrong Time - Find Out Here - NDTV Food - August 5th, 2022
- Heal with Tea: Types of Teas and their Health Benefits - News Track English - August 5th, 2022
- The Legit Mental Health Benefits of Doing Nothing, According to Science - Yahoo Life - August 5th, 2022
- This Green Tea Leaves Scrub Is Answer to All Your Skin Woes - News18 - August 5th, 2022
- World Lung Cancer Day 2022: 10 Superfoods To Improve Lung Health - NDTV - August 5th, 2022
- 7 Supplements That Actually Help You Wake Up in the Morning Best Life - Best Life - August 5th, 2022
- Need To Cut Down On Coffee? Here Are 5 Other Drinks That Can Help You Wake Up In The Morning - The Rakyat Post - August 5th, 2022
- PCOS: 5 amazing herbal teas to reverse the condition - Hindustan Times - July 18th, 2022
- Beneficial effects of green tea: A literature review - PMC - July 10th, 2022
- 8 Matcha Tea Health Benefits, Reviewed by Nutritionists - Good Housekeeping - July 10th, 2022
- 6 Best Drinks To Have Every Day, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 10th, 2022
- 9 Best Coffee Alternatives - Healthy Coffee Substitutes Approved by Nutritionists - Good Housekeeping - July 10th, 2022
- 7 Reasons Why Traditional and Herbal Teas Are Good For You - Sportskeeda - July 10th, 2022
- Does tea really help with digestion? - Livescience.com - July 10th, 2022
- The #1 Drinking Habit Jeff Goldblum Swears by To Look Amazing at 69 Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 10th, 2022
- Experts Warn Against Taking These Supplements for Your Health Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 10th, 2022
- 14 Types Of Green Tea And What Makes Them Different - Mashed - July 2nd, 2022
- Green Tea Extract Market Size And Forecast to 2028 |Finlay, Akbar Brothers, Martin Bauer Group, Tata Global Beverages, Amax NutraSource Designer... - June 21st, 2022
- What is White Tea and what makes it so expensive? - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Beetroot Found to Be Natural Sports Performance Enhancer - The Epoch Times - June 21st, 2022
- Whats the right tea for me? - TimesLIVE - June 12th, 2022
- This Is the #1 Best Tea for Cancer Patients, New Research Suggests Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 12th, 2022
- Caffeine in Skin Care: Does It Actually Work? - Everyday Health - June 12th, 2022
- Green or Black Tea - Which is Better? - India West - June 4th, 2022
- What are the benefits of drinking tea? - indulgexpress - June 4th, 2022
- So Is Coffee Bad for You in Any Way? Here Are the Possible Benefits and Drawbacks of Drinking Coffee - Self - June 4th, 2022
- Drinking Habits That Speed Up Belly Fat Loss in Your 50s, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Want to Live Longer? Keep Adding This to Your Morning Coffee - The Beet - June 4th, 2022
- Drink up, its tea-rrific - Bangalore Mirror - June 4th, 2022
- Superfoods and why you should eat them - The News International - June 4th, 2022
- 4 Drinks to Strengthen Your Bones As You Age, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Consuming This Beverage May Reduce Risk of Cancers, Say Experts Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Soothing teas to deal with painful menstrual cramps - India New England - June 4th, 2022
- Green Tea and Matcha Market will witness tremendous growth and COVID-19 analysis by 2029 The Greater Binghamton Business Journal - The Greater... - June 4th, 2022
- Healthy Habits That Are Proven To Make You Look Younger Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Adaptogenic-rich Caffeinated Beverages May Help those with Fatigue According to Clarkson University Research - Clarkson University News - June 4th, 2022
- Health benefits of 'true tea' support including drink in dietary guidelines, researchers argue - FoodNavigator-USA.com - May 16th, 2022
- 5 Unexpected Benefits Of Caffeine That You May Not Know About - mindbodygreen.com - May 16th, 2022
- Does green tea help in reducing belly fat? - India Today - May 16th, 2022
- These 5 Ingredients Helped Me Improve The Texture On My Combination Skin | Femina.in - Femina - May 16th, 2022
- Green Tea vs. Coffee: Which Is Better for Your Health? - May 3rd, 2022
- Green Tea vs. Black Tea: Which Is Healthier? - May 3rd, 2022
- Can certain foods really stave off dementia? - Deccan Herald - May 3rd, 2022
- Foods That Can Cause Acne - YouBeauty - May 3rd, 2022
- The Global Green Tea Market is expected to grow by $ 5.48 bn during 2022-2026 progressing at a CAGR of 5.99% during the forecast period - Yahoo... - April 20th, 2022
- Take A Sip Of Freshly Made Strawberry Green Tea And Enjoy These Benefits | Femina.in - Femina - April 20th, 2022
- Green Tea and Covid: Is There a Relationship? - Healthline - April 7th, 2022
- 10 Japanese superfoods to boost your health - Japan Today - April 7th, 2022
- World Health Day 2022: Boost Your Health This Summer With These Immunity Boosting Foods - NDTV - April 7th, 2022
- Coffee and Ulcerative Colitis: What's the Relationship? - Healthline - April 7th, 2022
- What are the best supplements for weight loss? - Sportskeeda - April 7th, 2022
- Surprising benefits of green tea with honey - CitySpidey.com - March 26th, 2022
- Drinking habits that can speed up weight loss process - Times of India - March 26th, 2022
- Green Tea Face Mask: What Are the Benefits and How to Make ... - January 22nd, 2022
- The 21 Proven Health Benefits of Green Tea - FCER - January 22nd, 2022
- Ways Green Tea Supports Weight Loss, Says Science Eat ... - January 22nd, 2022
- 8 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Kombucha Tea - January 22nd, 2022
- Health Benefits of Green Tea Extract Cleveland Clinic - January 22nd, 2022
- Worker Claims Job 'Removed the Free Tea Flavor' Because They Were Using It in Viral Post - Newsweek - January 22nd, 2022
- The Health Benefits of Tea for Longevity - Livestrong - January 7th, 2022
- Add these 5 healthy beverages to your new year resolution & see the change | FNB News - fnbnews.com - January 7th, 2022
- Want to lose your holiday weight? 5 Teas that will help with weight management & aid weight loss - PINKVILLA - January 7th, 2022
- 7 effective tips to naturally detox your body | Loop St. Lucia - Loop News St. Lucia - January 7th, 2022
- Im a Longevity and Anti-Aging Expert, and This Is My Hot Drink of Choice - Well+Good - December 26th, 2021
- Enjoy teatime with these super healthy and delicious brews - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- Tea and health - Sentinelassam - The Sentinel Assam - December 26th, 2021
- Eat These 14 Foods High in Antioxidants for Optimal Health - The Manual - December 13th, 2021