Green tea (Camellia sinensis) is one of the most popular health beverages around the world.
Originating from China, green tea is lauded for many health benefits due to its potential antioxidant, antiviral and immune-boosting properties (1, 2).
Its recently been investigated for a possible role in managing the SARS-CoV-2 virus, which causes illness from COVID-19. You may have heard that drinking green tea prevents or cures the disease.
In this article, we explain whether green tea affects COVID-19 and offer some immune-boosting tips.
Green tea is rich in health-promoting polyphenols, such as epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG), which has anti-viral effects against single-stranded RNA (ssRNA) viruses like Zika, hepatitis C, influenza (flu), dengue, and others (1, 3, 4, 5).
Like these, the SARS-CoV-2 is an ssRNA virus. Thus, green tea extracts continue to be investigated for their potential role in treating the virus and managing the COVID-19 pandemic (1, 2).
Test-tube research shows that green tea extracts may combat the SARS-CoV-2 virus by damaging the spike protein, preventing its entry into human cells and reducing the overall volume of the virus (3, 4, 5, 6).
Treatment of the test tube cells with EGCG was most effective during early stages of infection (3).
However, its important to understand that drinking green tea itself cant prevent or cure COVID-19. Most studies showing an effect used single green tea extracts like EGCG in concentrated amounts much higher than whats found in the natural tea.
Furthermore, EGCG is poorly absorbed when consumed orally from teas (4).
Nonetheless, green tea extracts may have potential to be used for natural treatment of COVID-19 after further human research and testing.
Remember, the best way to prevent serious illness from COVID-19 is by getting vaccinated, maintaining physical distancing, and washing your hands often. You can learn more about COVID-19 vaccines here.
Drinking green tea cannot prevent, treat, or cure the COVID-19 virus, but concentrated extracts like EGCG may have potential to be used for natural treatment after further human research and testing.
A COVID-19 infection can cause inflammation, which is linked to symptoms like fatigue, muscle pain, and achy joints (7).
Green tea may have anti-inflammatory properties. Its shown to reduce damaging inflammation associated with the COVID-19 virus, potentially easing these symptoms (8).
The EGCG found in green tea may also shorten infection periods by suppressing viral activity, although this effect has only been observed in test-tube studies. We need human research before we can draw conclusions (9).
Green tea is also a source of other immune-supportive nutrients like zinc, iron, and selenium albeit in small amounts (10).
Regardless, you may find that sipping on a warm cup of green tea during your COVID-19 infection is simply soothing.
Green tea may reduce damaging inflammation associated with COVID-19, potentially improving negative symptoms induced by the virus, such as muscle pains. Its also a source of immune-supportive nutrients, though theyre present only in small amounts.
Green tea contains small amounts of the following immune-boosting micronutrients (10):
Nutrient deficiencies impair immune health. For instance, research suggests that selenium deficiency may contribute to more severe illness from COVID-19 (11).
Green tea infusions made by steeping dried green tea leaves or a tea bag in hot water contain varying levels of these micronutrients, dependening on the quality of soil it was grown in (10).
Overall, concentrations of micronutrients in green tea appear low.
Green tea contains small amounts of the micronutrients zinc, copper, selenium, and vitamins B2 and B12, all of which are shown to boost immune health.
Green tea contains only small amounts of immune-boosting micronutrients. Enjoy infused green tea along with these tips to better support your overall immune health:
Increase fruit and vegetable intake, exercise regularly, avoid smoking, practice handwashing and hand hygiene, and aim for 7-9 hours per night to boost your immune health.
Green tea is a popular drink often touted as a health beverage. Some claims may hold true: it has proven antiviral effects against single-stranded RNA (ssRNA) viruses like Zika, hepatitis C, influenza, and dengue.
Its potential role in combatting SARS-CoV-2 continues to be investigated, but drinking green tea is not proven to prevent or cure COVID-19.
Increase fruit and vegetable intake, exercise regularly, avoid smoking, practice hand-washing and hand hygiene, and aim for 7-9 hours of sleep per night to boost your immune health.
Vaccination against COVID-19, in conjunction with physical distancing and masking when appropriate, remains the best way to protect yourself and others from severe illness.
See original here:
Green Tea and Covid: Is There a Relationship? - Healthline
- Health benefits of 'true tea' support including drink in dietary guidelines, researchers argue - FoodNavigator-USA.com - May 16th, 2022
- 5 Unexpected Benefits Of Caffeine That You May Not Know About - mindbodygreen.com - May 16th, 2022
- Does green tea help in reducing belly fat? - India Today - May 16th, 2022
- These 5 Ingredients Helped Me Improve The Texture On My Combination Skin | Femina.in - Femina - May 16th, 2022
- Green Tea vs. Coffee: Which Is Better for Your Health? - May 3rd, 2022
- Green Tea vs. Black Tea: Which Is Healthier? - May 3rd, 2022
- Can certain foods really stave off dementia? - Deccan Herald - May 3rd, 2022
- Foods That Can Cause Acne - YouBeauty - May 3rd, 2022
- The Global Green Tea Market is expected to grow by $ 5.48 bn during 2022-2026 progressing at a CAGR of 5.99% during the forecast period - Yahoo... - April 20th, 2022
- Take A Sip Of Freshly Made Strawberry Green Tea And Enjoy These Benefits | Femina.in - Femina - April 20th, 2022
- 10 Japanese superfoods to boost your health - Japan Today - April 7th, 2022
- World Health Day 2022: Boost Your Health This Summer With These Immunity Boosting Foods - NDTV - April 7th, 2022
- Coffee and Ulcerative Colitis: What's the Relationship? - Healthline - April 7th, 2022
- What are the best supplements for weight loss? - Sportskeeda - April 7th, 2022
- Surprising benefits of green tea with honey - CitySpidey.com - March 26th, 2022
- Drinking habits that can speed up weight loss process - Times of India - March 26th, 2022
- Green Tea Face Mask: What Are the Benefits and How to Make ... - January 22nd, 2022
- The 21 Proven Health Benefits of Green Tea - FCER - January 22nd, 2022
- Ways Green Tea Supports Weight Loss, Says Science Eat ... - January 22nd, 2022
- 8 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Kombucha Tea - January 22nd, 2022
- Health Benefits of Green Tea Extract Cleveland Clinic - January 22nd, 2022
- Worker Claims Job 'Removed the Free Tea Flavor' Because They Were Using It in Viral Post - Newsweek - January 22nd, 2022
- The Health Benefits of Tea for Longevity - Livestrong - January 7th, 2022
- Add these 5 healthy beverages to your new year resolution & see the change | FNB News - fnbnews.com - January 7th, 2022
- Want to lose your holiday weight? 5 Teas that will help with weight management & aid weight loss - PINKVILLA - January 7th, 2022
- 7 effective tips to naturally detox your body | Loop St. Lucia - Loop News St. Lucia - January 7th, 2022
- Im a Longevity and Anti-Aging Expert, and This Is My Hot Drink of Choice - Well+Good - December 26th, 2021
- Enjoy teatime with these super healthy and delicious brews - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- Tea and health - Sentinelassam - The Sentinel Assam - December 26th, 2021
- Eat These 14 Foods High in Antioxidants for Optimal Health - The Manual - December 13th, 2021
- Boost Immunity Naturally - Try These Basil (Tulsi) Drinks To Fight Infections - NDTV Food - December 13th, 2021
- Global Tea Markets Report 2021-2025 - Functional Benefits of Tea & New Product Launches Driving Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - November 27th, 2021
- Pomegranate Benefits on the Skin, Know here - News Track English - November 27th, 2021
- Type 2 diabetes: The best type of foods to help lower your blood sugars what to eat - Daily Express - November 27th, 2021
- 7 'Japanese' Foods No One Eats in Japan Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - November 27th, 2021
- What Is a Superfood, Anyway? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 12th, 2021
- 6 Types Of Drinks That Are Good For Your Health - Salon Priv Magazine - November 12th, 2021
- Tea recipes that can help protect from the side-effects of pollution - Times of India - November 12th, 2021
- CFTRI Develops a Technology that could be a New Source of Income for Coffee Growers - Krishi Jagran - November 12th, 2021
- Sanam Company & Flora Reserve Announce Launch of First-of-its-Kind Naox Derma Triple Antioxidant Concentrate Skincare Active Technology - Yahoo... - November 12th, 2021
- Matcha vs. green tea: Differences and benefits - November 1st, 2021
- Benefits of Green Tea With Ginseng | Livestrong.com - November 1st, 2021
- 10 Benefits of Drinking Green Tea in the Morning - November 1st, 2021
- Green tea discovery upends ideas about its health benefits - Futurity: Research News - November 1st, 2021
- 11 Jasmine Tea Benefits for Skin and Health - Greatist - November 1st, 2021
- Earl Grey Tea Benefits: Health, Uses, and Recipes - Greatist - November 1st, 2021
- Weight loss drink: The 8 benefits of 'one of the healthiest beverages on the planet' - Express - November 1st, 2021
- From Aiding Weight Loss To Boosting Immunity: 5 Health Benefits Of Drinking Black Tea - NDTV Food - November 1st, 2021
- Green tea catechins promote oxidative stress - EurekAlert - November 1st, 2021
- Nutritionists Say You Should Be Having This Tea Every Day Over 30 To Accelerate Your Metabolism - SheFinds - November 1st, 2021
- Are natural herbs and remedies beneficial for hepatitis C? - Medical News Today - November 1st, 2021
- How Much Green Tea Should be Consumed in a Day? Read on to Find Out - India.com - October 19th, 2021
- One Immune-Boosting Super-Ingredient Used 3 Ways: Green Tea - Healthline - October 19th, 2021
- The right time and way to have green tea for weight loss - Times of India - October 19th, 2021
- This Is Actually The Worst Tea For Your Metabolism, According To Doctors - SheFinds - October 19th, 2021
- The Global Tea Market is expected to grow by $ 16.20 bn during 2021-2025, progressing at a CAGR of 5.19% during the forecast period - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2021
- Green Tea Market 2021-2026: Size, Revenue, Growth, Share, Top Key Players, and Forecast EcoChunk - EcoChunk - October 19th, 2021
- Green tea can treat diabetes, ageing, and the right way to prepare it - Times of India - October 19th, 2021
- 3 Popular Types of Tea and Their Benefits - International Business Times - October 8th, 2021
- 7 Health Benefits of Lipton Diet Green Tea for Weight Loss ... - October 8th, 2021
- The Cognitive Benefits of Matcha - Psychiatric Times - October 8th, 2021
- What Happens To Your Body When You Drink Green Tea | Eat ... - October 8th, 2021
- Why Is Green Tea Considered Good For You? Know Here - IWMBuzz - October 8th, 2021
- The 4p drink that could help with painful arthritis - Coventry Live - October 8th, 2021
- How and when to have green tea to lose weight: Study shows best time and what else to do - Times Now - October 8th, 2021
- Is tea the South's next lucrative crop? These family farms have mastered the centuries-old art - Clarion Ledger - October 8th, 2021
- 7 Health Benefits Of Taking Natural Weight Loss Supplements - KHTS Radio - October 8th, 2021
- Blue tea to pink tea, all you need to know about these healing potions - Indulgexpress - October 8th, 2021
- The Best and Worst Foods to Eat When You Have Fibroids - Livestrong - October 8th, 2021
- Im a Functional Medicine Doctor, and This Is How To Make a Cup of Gut-Healthy Tea - Well+Good - September 4th, 2021
- From health benefits to right time for consumption: Interesting facts about tea - DNA India - September 4th, 2021
- The Benefits of Matcha Might Convince You to Switch Your Daily Coffee to a Matcha Latte - Women's Health - September 4th, 2021
- Five reasons why we love tea - Alex News - August 23rd, 2021
- 8 best drinks for weight loss and which drinks to avoid, according to dietitians - Insider - August 23rd, 2021
- Green Tea Market: Ready To Fly on high Growth Trends - The Market Writeuo - The Market Writeuo - August 23rd, 2021
- Drink coffee and tea for their valuable antioxidants - Stuff.co.nz - July 26th, 2021
- Children should start drinking tea aged four to combat obesity and stress, study finds - Evening Standard - July 26th, 2021
- What's the Difference Between Matcha and Green Tea? - Green Matters - July 26th, 2021
- Dietitians Agree: This Is Actually The Best Metabolism-Boosting Tea For Weight Loss (Its Not Black Tea!) - SheFinds - July 26th, 2021
- Best Supplements For Better Focus, According to Dietitians | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 26th, 2021