Green tea has long been used as one of the first lines of defense against disease. In fact, its history can be traced back thousands of years to ancient China, where it was revered for its many medicinal properties.
Like black tea, white tea, and oolong tea, green tea is made from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, which is native to Asia.
It is made by steaming, pan-frying, and drying the leaves, which have a grassy, somewhat nutty taste and can be steeped in hot water to brew tea.
It can also be used to make matcha, a variety of green tea that is produced by pulverizing tea leaves into a fine powder.
Green tea and matcha differ slightly in terms of nutrition. This is because matcha is made from the whole tea leaf, resulting in a more concentrated final product.
Matcha can be used to make hot drinks or add a burst of color to baked goods, oat bowls, smoothies, and more.
Not only have green tea and matcha been linked to a long list of benefits, but both also boast a variety of antioxidants and other health-promoting properties, making them an awesome addition to your cold and flu-fighting arsenal.
Scroll down for three unique ways to use green tea and reap its benefits.
Green tea is loaded with disease-fighting antioxidants and polyphenols, including epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG).
EGCG has been studied extensively for its ability to alleviate inflammation and enhance immunity.
In fact, one test-tube study from 2020 found that EGCG was able to alter the activity of specific proteins, which could help block the flu virus from replicating.
Several other compounds found in green tea, known as catechins, may also have antiviral properties and could offer protection against illness and infection.
More research in humans is still needed. That said, according to a 2017 review, some test-tube and animal studies show that certain catechins present in green tea could be effective against viral infections like influenza, adenovirus, and hepatitis.
Interestingly enough, one 2020 study in 255 healthcare workers even found that consuming a catechin-containing beverage daily for 12 weeks reduced the risk of upper respiratory tract infections by half compared with a control group.
If simply sipping on a cup of green tea isnt your style, there are plenty of other ways to enjoy it. Here are three easy alternatives to increase your intake.
Get your day going on the right foot with this simple green tea oatmeal.
Swapping the water in your oatmeal for green tea can help squeeze some extra antioxidants into your diet and give your morning meal a healthy twist.
You can also customize it by mixing in a few of your favorite ingredients, such as berries, walnuts, chia seeds, or almond butter.
Rich, soothing, and savory chicken soup is a must-have during flu season.
This recipe features green tea, bringing the cold-fighting powers of chicken soup to the next level.
If youre not so sure about adding green tea to your soup, opt for just a few tea bags or throw in some extra herbs and spices to complement the flavor.
Not only is matcha jam-packed with antioxidants, but it can also help add a pop of color to a variety of recipes, including this salad dressing.
This simple dressing can be drizzled over just about anything, from salads to roasted veggies to Buddha bowls and beyond.
Green tea is a powerful ingredient that comes from the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant.
It contains several immune-boosting compounds that can fend off illness and infection, including EGCG.
Plus, there are plenty of interesting and delicious ways to add it to your diet that go beyond drinking it, including adding it to soups, salad dressings, oat bowls, and more.
For more great tips on using super ingredients, check out:
Read more from the original source:
One Immune-Boosting Super-Ingredient Used 3 Ways: Green Tea - Healthline
- Green Tea Extract Market Size And Forecast to 2028 |Finlay, Akbar Brothers, Martin Bauer Group, Tata Global Beverages, Amax NutraSource Designer... - June 21st, 2022
- What is White Tea and what makes it so expensive? - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Beetroot Found to Be Natural Sports Performance Enhancer - The Epoch Times - June 21st, 2022
- Whats the right tea for me? - TimesLIVE - June 12th, 2022
- This Is the #1 Best Tea for Cancer Patients, New Research Suggests Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 12th, 2022
- Caffeine in Skin Care: Does It Actually Work? - Everyday Health - June 12th, 2022
- Fitness Master food philosophy, 'food combining': not the same Times News Online - tnonline.com - June 12th, 2022
- Green or Black Tea - Which is Better? - India West - June 4th, 2022
- What are the benefits of drinking tea? - indulgexpress - June 4th, 2022
- So Is Coffee Bad for You in Any Way? Here Are the Possible Benefits and Drawbacks of Drinking Coffee - Self - June 4th, 2022
- Drinking Habits That Speed Up Belly Fat Loss in Your 50s, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Want to Live Longer? Keep Adding This to Your Morning Coffee - The Beet - June 4th, 2022
- Drink up, its tea-rrific - Bangalore Mirror - June 4th, 2022
- Superfoods and why you should eat them - The News International - June 4th, 2022
- 4 Drinks to Strengthen Your Bones As You Age, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Consuming This Beverage May Reduce Risk of Cancers, Say Experts Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Soothing teas to deal with painful menstrual cramps - India New England - June 4th, 2022
- Green Tea and Matcha Market will witness tremendous growth and COVID-19 analysis by 2029 The Greater Binghamton Business Journal - The Greater... - June 4th, 2022
- Healthy Habits That Are Proven To Make You Look Younger Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Adaptogenic-rich Caffeinated Beverages May Help those with Fatigue According to Clarkson University Research - Clarkson University News - June 4th, 2022
- Health benefits of 'true tea' support including drink in dietary guidelines, researchers argue - FoodNavigator-USA.com - May 16th, 2022
- 5 Unexpected Benefits Of Caffeine That You May Not Know About - mindbodygreen.com - May 16th, 2022
- Does green tea help in reducing belly fat? - India Today - May 16th, 2022
- These 5 Ingredients Helped Me Improve The Texture On My Combination Skin | Femina.in - Femina - May 16th, 2022
- Green Tea vs. Coffee: Which Is Better for Your Health? - May 3rd, 2022
- Green Tea vs. Black Tea: Which Is Healthier? - May 3rd, 2022
- Can certain foods really stave off dementia? - Deccan Herald - May 3rd, 2022
- Foods That Can Cause Acne - YouBeauty - May 3rd, 2022
- The Global Green Tea Market is expected to grow by $ 5.48 bn during 2022-2026 progressing at a CAGR of 5.99% during the forecast period - Yahoo... - April 20th, 2022
- Take A Sip Of Freshly Made Strawberry Green Tea And Enjoy These Benefits | Femina.in - Femina - April 20th, 2022
- Green Tea and Covid: Is There a Relationship? - Healthline - April 7th, 2022
- 10 Japanese superfoods to boost your health - Japan Today - April 7th, 2022
- World Health Day 2022: Boost Your Health This Summer With These Immunity Boosting Foods - NDTV - April 7th, 2022
- Coffee and Ulcerative Colitis: What's the Relationship? - Healthline - April 7th, 2022
- What are the best supplements for weight loss? - Sportskeeda - April 7th, 2022
- Surprising benefits of green tea with honey - CitySpidey.com - March 26th, 2022
- Drinking habits that can speed up weight loss process - Times of India - March 26th, 2022
- Green Tea Face Mask: What Are the Benefits and How to Make ... - January 22nd, 2022
- The 21 Proven Health Benefits of Green Tea - FCER - January 22nd, 2022
- Ways Green Tea Supports Weight Loss, Says Science Eat ... - January 22nd, 2022
- 8 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Kombucha Tea - January 22nd, 2022
- Health Benefits of Green Tea Extract Cleveland Clinic - January 22nd, 2022
- Worker Claims Job 'Removed the Free Tea Flavor' Because They Were Using It in Viral Post - Newsweek - January 22nd, 2022
- The Health Benefits of Tea for Longevity - Livestrong - January 7th, 2022
- Add these 5 healthy beverages to your new year resolution & see the change | FNB News - fnbnews.com - January 7th, 2022
- Want to lose your holiday weight? 5 Teas that will help with weight management & aid weight loss - PINKVILLA - January 7th, 2022
- 7 effective tips to naturally detox your body | Loop St. Lucia - Loop News St. Lucia - January 7th, 2022
- Im a Longevity and Anti-Aging Expert, and This Is My Hot Drink of Choice - Well+Good - December 26th, 2021
- Enjoy teatime with these super healthy and delicious brews - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- Tea and health - Sentinelassam - The Sentinel Assam - December 26th, 2021
- Eat These 14 Foods High in Antioxidants for Optimal Health - The Manual - December 13th, 2021
- Boost Immunity Naturally - Try These Basil (Tulsi) Drinks To Fight Infections - NDTV Food - December 13th, 2021
- Global Tea Markets Report 2021-2025 - Functional Benefits of Tea & New Product Launches Driving Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - November 27th, 2021
- Pomegranate Benefits on the Skin, Know here - News Track English - November 27th, 2021
- Type 2 diabetes: The best type of foods to help lower your blood sugars what to eat - Daily Express - November 27th, 2021
- 7 'Japanese' Foods No One Eats in Japan Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - November 27th, 2021
- What Is a Superfood, Anyway? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 12th, 2021
- 6 Types Of Drinks That Are Good For Your Health - Salon Priv Magazine - November 12th, 2021
- Tea recipes that can help protect from the side-effects of pollution - Times of India - November 12th, 2021
- CFTRI Develops a Technology that could be a New Source of Income for Coffee Growers - Krishi Jagran - November 12th, 2021
- Sanam Company & Flora Reserve Announce Launch of First-of-its-Kind Naox Derma Triple Antioxidant Concentrate Skincare Active Technology - Yahoo... - November 12th, 2021
- Matcha vs. green tea: Differences and benefits - November 1st, 2021
- Benefits of Green Tea With Ginseng | Livestrong.com - November 1st, 2021
- 10 Benefits of Drinking Green Tea in the Morning - November 1st, 2021
- Green tea discovery upends ideas about its health benefits - Futurity: Research News - November 1st, 2021
- 11 Jasmine Tea Benefits for Skin and Health - Greatist - November 1st, 2021
- Earl Grey Tea Benefits: Health, Uses, and Recipes - Greatist - November 1st, 2021
- Weight loss drink: The 8 benefits of 'one of the healthiest beverages on the planet' - Express - November 1st, 2021
- From Aiding Weight Loss To Boosting Immunity: 5 Health Benefits Of Drinking Black Tea - NDTV Food - November 1st, 2021
- Green tea catechins promote oxidative stress - EurekAlert - November 1st, 2021
- Nutritionists Say You Should Be Having This Tea Every Day Over 30 To Accelerate Your Metabolism - SheFinds - November 1st, 2021
- Are natural herbs and remedies beneficial for hepatitis C? - Medical News Today - November 1st, 2021
- How Much Green Tea Should be Consumed in a Day? Read on to Find Out - India.com - October 19th, 2021
- The right time and way to have green tea for weight loss - Times of India - October 19th, 2021
- This Is Actually The Worst Tea For Your Metabolism, According To Doctors - SheFinds - October 19th, 2021
- The Global Tea Market is expected to grow by $ 16.20 bn during 2021-2025, progressing at a CAGR of 5.19% during the forecast period - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2021
- Green Tea Market 2021-2026: Size, Revenue, Growth, Share, Top Key Players, and Forecast EcoChunk - EcoChunk - October 19th, 2021
- Green tea can treat diabetes, ageing, and the right way to prepare it - Times of India - October 19th, 2021
- 3 Popular Types of Tea and Their Benefits - International Business Times - October 8th, 2021
- 7 Health Benefits of Lipton Diet Green Tea for Weight Loss ... - October 8th, 2021