Looking to drop a few pounds? Unfortunately, there's no magic pill that can miraculously help you lose weight quickly. Shedding fat requires a careful combination of eating the right foods, exercise, reducing stress, and getting enough sleep. (If you need a little help in that department, here are40 Tips Nutritionists Say You Must Follow to Lose Weight.) But it definitely helps if you'd like to drink green tea for weight loss.
Green tea is something very close to a weight-loss elixir, a beverage that will help rev up your metabolism, regulate blood sugar, and blast away belly fat. It's lining the shelves of your grocery store right now and is available for just pennies a serving.
Although it comes in many different forms, green tea and its antioxidants will help you drop pounds and deliver the results you've been looking for. Here's what happens to your body when you drink green tea for weight loss. And for more, don't miss What Happens to Your Body If You Drink Tea Every Day.
Your body is composed of two types of fat: White fat and brown fat. While white fat is the type of fat we typically know as the squishy stuff in our body that appears when we gain weight, brown fat can actually help you lose weight. Brown fat, although in much lesser quantities in the body, is metabolically active and burns calories. The brown stuff can also help suck white fat out of the body and contributes to improved insulin levels.
Basically, brown fat is like the magic unicorn of fat in the body, and adults don't have very much of it. Here's where green tea comes in: A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that along with caffeine, the catechin compounds in green tea increased brown fat among the study participants. And the more calorie-burning brown fat an adult has, the better.
RELATED: Sign up for our newsletter to get daily recipes and food news in your inbox!
Here's a little weight loss 101: When you lose (white) fat, you're not actually getting rid of fat cells. Rather, the fat cells, or adipocytes, shrink. The compounds in green tea called catechins actually help activate this shrinkage. The catechins trigger the release of fat from fat cells, especially in the belly.
The most potent catechin in green tea is EGCG, the powerhouse compound that's responsible for most of green tea's weight loss properties. In addition to revving your metabolism and boosting the breakdown of fat, EGCG can also block the formation of new fat cells. One study found that men who drank green tea containing 136 milligrams of EGCG lost twice as much weight than a placebo group and four times as much belly fat over the course of three months. The amount of EGCG in green tea varies, but the average brewable tea contains 25-86 mg per serving. For more EGCG, opt for matcha green tea; the nutrient could be as much as 137 times greater in powdered matcha. There's a reason green tea is one of our best teas for weight loss.
An increase in blood sugar can make you gain weight; not only can high blood sugar trigger your body to store glucose as fat, it can also lead to unhealthy cravings and a drop in energy. Luckily, green tea may be able to help even everything out. Both Japanese researchers and Mexican researchers found that the antioxidants in green tea limit the total amount of carbs absorbed by your body after a meal, which ultimately improves sugar metabolism.
Working out on its own is beneficial for weight loss; although diet plays more of a role than exercise, physical activity still has weight-loss benefits such as burning calories, building fat-burning lean muscle, and revving your metabolism. When paired with green tea, however, it's an even more powerful fat-fighter. In a recent 12-week study, participants who drank 4-5 cups of green tea each day along with a sprinting exercises lost more belly fat and total fat while increasing lean muscle mass compared to non-tea-drinking exercisers. Looks like green tea might be the only pre-workout beverage you need!
Working out is an essential part of any weight-loss plan, but soreness and recovering from an intense workout may keep people out of the gym longer than they want to. That's where green tea comes in; Polish scientists found that study participants who consumed three cups of the beverage every day for a week had fewer markers of the cell damage caused by resistance to exercise. So it's worth enjoying a cup of green tea before and after a workout.
If you have high cholesterol levels, you might want to look into drinking green tea. A The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition meta-analysis that reviewed the results of 14 studies, found that green tea intake lowers fasting serum total and LDL cholesterol in adults. Green tea isn't the only thing worth consuming to lower your cholesterol, there are also these 17 Foods That Lower Cholesterol.
- Green Tea Extract Market Size And Forecast to 2028 |Finlay, Akbar Brothers, Martin Bauer Group, Tata Global Beverages, Amax NutraSource Designer... - June 21st, 2022
- What is White Tea and what makes it so expensive? - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Beetroot Found to Be Natural Sports Performance Enhancer - The Epoch Times - June 21st, 2022
- Whats the right tea for me? - TimesLIVE - June 12th, 2022
- This Is the #1 Best Tea for Cancer Patients, New Research Suggests Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 12th, 2022
- Caffeine in Skin Care: Does It Actually Work? - Everyday Health - June 12th, 2022
- Fitness Master food philosophy, 'food combining': not the same Times News Online - tnonline.com - June 12th, 2022
- Green or Black Tea - Which is Better? - India West - June 4th, 2022
- What are the benefits of drinking tea? - indulgexpress - June 4th, 2022
- So Is Coffee Bad for You in Any Way? Here Are the Possible Benefits and Drawbacks of Drinking Coffee - Self - June 4th, 2022
- Drinking Habits That Speed Up Belly Fat Loss in Your 50s, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Want to Live Longer? Keep Adding This to Your Morning Coffee - The Beet - June 4th, 2022
- Drink up, its tea-rrific - Bangalore Mirror - June 4th, 2022
- Superfoods and why you should eat them - The News International - June 4th, 2022
- 4 Drinks to Strengthen Your Bones As You Age, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Consuming This Beverage May Reduce Risk of Cancers, Say Experts Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Soothing teas to deal with painful menstrual cramps - India New England - June 4th, 2022
- Green Tea and Matcha Market will witness tremendous growth and COVID-19 analysis by 2029 The Greater Binghamton Business Journal - The Greater... - June 4th, 2022
- Healthy Habits That Are Proven To Make You Look Younger Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - June 4th, 2022
- Adaptogenic-rich Caffeinated Beverages May Help those with Fatigue According to Clarkson University Research - Clarkson University News - June 4th, 2022
- Health benefits of 'true tea' support including drink in dietary guidelines, researchers argue - FoodNavigator-USA.com - May 16th, 2022
- 5 Unexpected Benefits Of Caffeine That You May Not Know About - mindbodygreen.com - May 16th, 2022
- Does green tea help in reducing belly fat? - India Today - May 16th, 2022
- These 5 Ingredients Helped Me Improve The Texture On My Combination Skin | Femina.in - Femina - May 16th, 2022
- Green Tea vs. Coffee: Which Is Better for Your Health? - May 3rd, 2022
- Green Tea vs. Black Tea: Which Is Healthier? - May 3rd, 2022
- Can certain foods really stave off dementia? - Deccan Herald - May 3rd, 2022
- Foods That Can Cause Acne - YouBeauty - May 3rd, 2022
- The Global Green Tea Market is expected to grow by $ 5.48 bn during 2022-2026 progressing at a CAGR of 5.99% during the forecast period - Yahoo... - April 20th, 2022
- Take A Sip Of Freshly Made Strawberry Green Tea And Enjoy These Benefits | Femina.in - Femina - April 20th, 2022
- Green Tea and Covid: Is There a Relationship? - Healthline - April 7th, 2022
- 10 Japanese superfoods to boost your health - Japan Today - April 7th, 2022
- World Health Day 2022: Boost Your Health This Summer With These Immunity Boosting Foods - NDTV - April 7th, 2022
- Coffee and Ulcerative Colitis: What's the Relationship? - Healthline - April 7th, 2022
- What are the best supplements for weight loss? - Sportskeeda - April 7th, 2022
- Surprising benefits of green tea with honey - CitySpidey.com - March 26th, 2022
- Drinking habits that can speed up weight loss process - Times of India - March 26th, 2022
- Green Tea Face Mask: What Are the Benefits and How to Make ... - January 22nd, 2022
- The 21 Proven Health Benefits of Green Tea - FCER - January 22nd, 2022
- 8 Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Kombucha Tea - January 22nd, 2022
- Health Benefits of Green Tea Extract Cleveland Clinic - January 22nd, 2022
- Worker Claims Job 'Removed the Free Tea Flavor' Because They Were Using It in Viral Post - Newsweek - January 22nd, 2022
- The Health Benefits of Tea for Longevity - Livestrong - January 7th, 2022
- Add these 5 healthy beverages to your new year resolution & see the change | FNB News - fnbnews.com - January 7th, 2022
- Want to lose your holiday weight? 5 Teas that will help with weight management & aid weight loss - PINKVILLA - January 7th, 2022
- 7 effective tips to naturally detox your body | Loop St. Lucia - Loop News St. Lucia - January 7th, 2022
- Im a Longevity and Anti-Aging Expert, and This Is My Hot Drink of Choice - Well+Good - December 26th, 2021
- Enjoy teatime with these super healthy and delicious brews - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- Tea and health - Sentinelassam - The Sentinel Assam - December 26th, 2021
- Eat These 14 Foods High in Antioxidants for Optimal Health - The Manual - December 13th, 2021
- Boost Immunity Naturally - Try These Basil (Tulsi) Drinks To Fight Infections - NDTV Food - December 13th, 2021
- Global Tea Markets Report 2021-2025 - Functional Benefits of Tea & New Product Launches Driving Growth - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - November 27th, 2021
- Pomegranate Benefits on the Skin, Know here - News Track English - November 27th, 2021
- Type 2 diabetes: The best type of foods to help lower your blood sugars what to eat - Daily Express - November 27th, 2021
- 7 'Japanese' Foods No One Eats in Japan Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - November 27th, 2021
- What Is a Superfood, Anyway? - Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic - November 12th, 2021
- 6 Types Of Drinks That Are Good For Your Health - Salon Priv Magazine - November 12th, 2021
- Tea recipes that can help protect from the side-effects of pollution - Times of India - November 12th, 2021
- CFTRI Develops a Technology that could be a New Source of Income for Coffee Growers - Krishi Jagran - November 12th, 2021
- Sanam Company & Flora Reserve Announce Launch of First-of-its-Kind Naox Derma Triple Antioxidant Concentrate Skincare Active Technology - Yahoo... - November 12th, 2021
- Matcha vs. green tea: Differences and benefits - November 1st, 2021
- Benefits of Green Tea With Ginseng | Livestrong.com - November 1st, 2021
- 10 Benefits of Drinking Green Tea in the Morning - November 1st, 2021
- Green tea discovery upends ideas about its health benefits - Futurity: Research News - November 1st, 2021
- 11 Jasmine Tea Benefits for Skin and Health - Greatist - November 1st, 2021
- Earl Grey Tea Benefits: Health, Uses, and Recipes - Greatist - November 1st, 2021
- Weight loss drink: The 8 benefits of 'one of the healthiest beverages on the planet' - Express - November 1st, 2021
- From Aiding Weight Loss To Boosting Immunity: 5 Health Benefits Of Drinking Black Tea - NDTV Food - November 1st, 2021
- Green tea catechins promote oxidative stress - EurekAlert - November 1st, 2021
- Nutritionists Say You Should Be Having This Tea Every Day Over 30 To Accelerate Your Metabolism - SheFinds - November 1st, 2021
- Are natural herbs and remedies beneficial for hepatitis C? - Medical News Today - November 1st, 2021
- How Much Green Tea Should be Consumed in a Day? Read on to Find Out - India.com - October 19th, 2021
- One Immune-Boosting Super-Ingredient Used 3 Ways: Green Tea - Healthline - October 19th, 2021
- The right time and way to have green tea for weight loss - Times of India - October 19th, 2021
- This Is Actually The Worst Tea For Your Metabolism, According To Doctors - SheFinds - October 19th, 2021
- The Global Tea Market is expected to grow by $ 16.20 bn during 2021-2025, progressing at a CAGR of 5.19% during the forecast period - Yahoo Finance - October 19th, 2021
- Green Tea Market 2021-2026: Size, Revenue, Growth, Share, Top Key Players, and Forecast EcoChunk - EcoChunk - October 19th, 2021
- Green tea can treat diabetes, ageing, and the right way to prepare it - Times of India - October 19th, 2021
- 3 Popular Types of Tea and Their Benefits - International Business Times - October 8th, 2021
- 7 Health Benefits of Lipton Diet Green Tea for Weight Loss ... - October 8th, 2021