Tea drinkers seem to have better organized brain regions, which is associated with healthy cognitive function, according to a study led by Professor Feng Lei, of the National University of Singapore.
The study, involving 957 Chinese seniors aged 55 and over, found that drinking tea can improve brain efficiency.
Our results offer the first evidence of positive contribution of tea drinking to brain structure and suggest that drinking tea regularly has a protective effect against age-related decline in brain organization, said Lei.
The findings, published in the June 2019 edition of the journal Aging, found that people who consumed either green tea, oolong tea or black tea at least four times a week for about 25 years had brain regions that were interconnected in a more efficient way. With a regular habit of drinking tea, the study found that the risk of cognitive impairment in older adults was reduced by 50% and in those genetically predisposed to Alzheimers disease, the risk was reduced even further by 86%.
Tea is one of the most widely consumed beverages in the world, and the long-term benefit of tea consumption is thought to be due to bioactive compounds found in tea leaves that can have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. Researchers think that other bioactive properties in tea may protect the brain from vascular damage and neurodegeneration.
Each week we'll highlights the best eats and events in metro Baton Rouge. Sign up today.
Lei said the findings have important implications for dementia prevention but also noted that the understanding of detailed biological mechanisms is still very limited, and more research is needed to reach definitive answers.
Dr. James Pickett, head of research at the Alzheimers Society, however, remains cautious regarding the findings about tea consumption and cognitive delay.
As lovely as it would be to discover that drinking a humble cup of tea could prevent you from developing memory and thinking problems, so far, research linking the two has been inconclusive, Pickett said.
Though further research needs to be done, medical professionals promote this beverage for various health qualities. For instance, green tea contains the highest amount of polyphenol antioxidants, which has been linked to lowering cholesterol and aiding metabolism as well as possibly playing a role in preventing certain types of cancers or diabetes. White tea has high levels of flavonoids, which may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, hypertension and diabetes. Black tea has benefits of improving blood circulation, leading to lower instances of heart disease and high blood pressure.
While it is easy to incorporate more tea into your diet for possible benefits, as with any dietary supplement, you should always consult your physician before increasing your tea intake as a health measure. Because the science of tea remains inconclusive, your physician may want to discuss other preventative and/or health maintenance measures to consider.
Questions about Alzheimer's disease or related disorders can be sent to Dana Territo, the Memory Whisperer, owner of Dana Territo Consulting, LLC, at email@example.com.
- Leaky gut: Green tea may help reduce gut inflammation, blood sugar - Medical News Today - August 5th, 2022
- What is CBD Tea and How it Can Help You - One Green Planet - August 5th, 2022
- 5 Home Remedies for Summer Health Bothers - Woman's World - August 5th, 2022
- The Definitive List of the Best Drinks for High Blood Pressure Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 27th, 2022
- World Hepatitis Day 2022: Best 10 Superfoods For Your Liver To Keep It Clean & Healthy - NDTV - July 27th, 2022
- Novel delivery of green tea extract shows promise against whitespot and AHPND - The Fish Site - July 27th, 2022
- Healthiest Drink In The World? 5 Terrific Health Benefits From Tea, According To Science! - Study Finds - July 27th, 2022
- Tea-based Skin Care Products Market East Asia Region is Expected to Retain its Dominant Position in the Global Due to High Production of Tea in the... - July 27th, 2022
- 8 Best Healthy Drinks, According to Nutritionists - Good Housekeeping - July 27th, 2022
- Skincare tips: Here's how green tea helps in diabetes, anti-ageing, skin cancer - Hindustan Times - July 27th, 2022
- Tea Market Analysis and In-depth study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecast to 2027 - Digital Journal - July 27th, 2022
- Every SmartWater Flavor Ranked Worst To Best - Mashed - July 27th, 2022
- 20 Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Weight Loss: Start Your Mornings Right - The Island Now - July 27th, 2022
- The 6 Best Teas To Slow Aging, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 18th, 2022
- Hydration Beyond Water: These Foods And Drinks Are Great To Hydrate Your Body - NDTV Food - July 18th, 2022
- What Vitamins Help With Weight Loss? - The Island Now - July 18th, 2022
- Training your brain to reduce risk of dementia - Axios - July 18th, 2022
- Is green tea good for you? | BBC Good Food - July 10th, 2022
- Health Benefits and Chemical Composition of Matcha Green Tea: A Review - July 10th, 2022
- The Link Between Cytokines and Psoriatic Arthritis - Healthline - July 10th, 2022
- Osteoporosis and osteoarthritis: Definitions, link, and prevention - Medical News Today - July 10th, 2022
- The Lesser-Known Health Benefits of Herbal Teas What You Need To Know - SciTechDaily - July 2nd, 2022
- 6 Best Teas To Boost Metabolism and Lose Weight Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 2nd, 2022
- Healthy And Organic: 5 Latest Trends In Beverages For 2022 - NDTV Food - July 2nd, 2022
- 6 New Iced Tea Flavours You Can Try This Iced Tea Month - NDTV Food - July 2nd, 2022
- 5 Best Drinking Habits for High Blood Pressure, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 2nd, 2022
- Caffeine and osteoporosis: What is the link? - Medical News Today - July 2nd, 2022
- Are Mushrooms the Next Trendy Coffee Alternative? - The Manual - July 2nd, 2022
- Sip of health: Rainy day beverages to warm you - Hindustan Times - July 2nd, 2022
- Flavoured Tea Market Trends, Share, Industry Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities and Global Forecast By 2029 Designer Women - Designer Women - July 2nd, 2022
- THIS vitamin deficiency can increase your heart disease risk - Times of India - July 2nd, 2022
- Green tea: Not only helps in losing belly fat but also boosts your metabolism - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Iced Tea: Health Benefits Of Consuming This Refreshing Drink | TheHealthSite.com - TheHealthSite - June 21st, 2022
- Nucific Bio X4 Review: Is It The Best Supplement For Weight Loss? - The Island Now - June 21st, 2022
- Amazing Health Benefits of Thyme: A Medicinal Herb - Krishi Jagran - June 21st, 2022
- Baltimore Company Equitea Rolls Out First Batch Of Canned Tea - CBS Baltimore - June 21st, 2022
- Dust tea or whole leaf tea? As debate continues, here's the actual answer | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- Tea Therapy: 5 Natural teas you should try to calm your mind during stress - PINKVILLA - June 21st, 2022
- Ready to drink tea & coffee market expected to deliver dynamic progression | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- From kahwa to tandoori chai, different kinds of teas from across the country - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2022
- Breastfeeding supplements to increase milk supply: Effectiveness and choosing - Medical News Today - June 21st, 2022
- This Herb Shows Promise In Boosting Male Sex Drive & Fertility - mindbodygreen.com - June 21st, 2022
- 2 Types of Super Brain Foods to Defeat Dementia and Alzheimer's - The Epoch Times - June 21st, 2022
- 8 Healthy and Delicious Types of Iced Tea to Make This Summer - AARP - June 12th, 2022
- VitalFlow Reviews - Is it Effective for Prostate Problems? Don't Buy Vital Flow Until You Read This! - MarylandReporter.com - June 12th, 2022
- Are You Including These Essentials in Your Diet? - State-Journal.com - June 12th, 2022
- Ready-to-Drink Tea Market to Forsee Commendable Growth of US$ 70.5 Bn By 2032, Due To Growing Demand for Healthier Substitutes to Carbonated Drinks |... - June 12th, 2022
- Global Health and Wellness Foods Market to Reach $1 Trillion by 2026 - Yahoo Finance - June 12th, 2022
- Mother and daughter's dream teas success - NutraIngredients.com - June 4th, 2022
- 4 Potential Side Effects of the Paleo Diet - Healthline - May 16th, 2022
- Ways to improve your health in less than a minute - Southern Courier - May 16th, 2022
- From Immune Function and Cognition to Cardiovascular Health and Cancer Prevention - Health Benefits of Tea Revealed by Researchers from Across the... - May 3rd, 2022
- The Health Benefits Of Drinking Kombucha - Tasting Table - May 3rd, 2022
- COVID-19 and antibiotic resistance: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2022
- Arthritis: Green tea may help 'block' the production of molecules that cause joint damage - Express - May 3rd, 2022
- 10 Delicious Smoothie Ingredients Dietitians Say Will Boost Your Longevity - Well+Good - May 3rd, 2022
- Not all beverages are bad for diabetes patients. Hibiscus tea, cinnamon drinks keep blood sugar in check - Economic Times - May 3rd, 2022
- 'Brain food': Can eating certain things help prevent dementia? - The Irish Times - May 3rd, 2022
- Skin Care for Rosacea: 7 FAQs About Ingredients, How To, and More - Healthline - May 3rd, 2022
- At 6.0% of CAGR Green Tea Market Share will increase and aimed to cross US$ 21456.2 million in 2027 - Digital Journal - April 20th, 2022
- What Happens to Your Blood Sugar When You Drink Tea Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - April 20th, 2022
- Quercetin: What It Is, How Much You Need, and Where to Find It - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Stir up something refreshing this summer with these iced tea brands in India - Lifestyle Asia India - April 20th, 2022
- Climate change and war are threatening coffee cultivation's future: Study - Egypt Today - April 20th, 2022
- Cuzen Matcha Maker review: How to make matcha with the press of a button - Reviewed - April 20th, 2022
- How to Improve Your Heart Health Quickly and Naturally - Healthline - April 20th, 2022
- Your Guide To Keeping Your Liver Healthy And Fighting Fit All Through The Year - NDTV Swirlster - April 20th, 2022
- Easy exercises for staying fit and managing weight this Ramadan - The Daily Star - April 20th, 2022
- Moringa (Drumstick Tree): Benefits, Safety, Dosage, and More - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Synapse XT Reviews 2022: A Real Tinnitus Supplement Or Fake One? - Blog - The Island Now - April 7th, 2022
- New Hollings head and neck cancer researcher brings expertise in biomarkers and immunotherapy - Medical University of South Carolina - April 7th, 2022
- Which tea has the most caffeine? - Medical News Today - March 26th, 2022
- TestoPrime Review 2022 | Research, Studies & Results on Testo prime - Firstpost - March 26th, 2022
- The Real Reason Green Tea Might Make You Nauseated - Mashed - January 22nd, 2022
- The Most Popular Types Of Oranges Ranked - Tasting Table - January 22nd, 2022
- The 5:2 diet: A popular way of intermittent fasting to lose weight - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- How to live longer: The cholesterol-lowering drink to add disease-free years to your life - Express - December 13th, 2021
- Blood pressure has spiked during the pandemic, but these tips can help you lower yours - PhillyVoice.com - December 13th, 2021
- Cant Fall Asleep? These Vitamin Deficiencies Could Be Behind Your Insomnia - The Better India - December 13th, 2021
- Why You Shouldnt Use Menthol Lozenges If You Have a Sore Throat, According to an ENT Doc - Well+Good - December 13th, 2021