Ever felt uncomfortably full after a meal? Maybe you even wondered whether you might feel better in looser-fitting pants. If so, youre familiar with bloating.
Essentially, bloating happens due to an excessive level of solids, liquids, or gas in the digestive system. Its often mistaken for water retention, but they arent the same thing.
Bloating is more specific to the abdomen, and it relates to diet, stress, and lifestyle, explains Lisa Mastela, a registered dietician in Los Angeles.
Bloating often involves pain, burping, excessive gas, or abdominal rumbling. It can also leave your stomach looking swollen, or bigger than it typically does.
In most cases, though, bloating is temporary and doesnt pose any serious concerns. You can also take steps to ease the discomfort it brings.
There are so many different causes of bloating, notes Mastela. It can be as simple as eating too fast, too much, slow digestion, or having too much salt or carbonated drinks. Or it can be as nuanced as poor sleep, chronic stress, imbalanced hormones, or a food sensitivity.
Still, you can often trace bloating back to your diet.
Possible explanations include:
The most common forms of bloating tend to go away in less than a day, as the gastrointestinal system processes whatever was causing the bloating, explains Kent Sasse, MD, MHP, FACS, FASCRS, FASMBS and founder of K Sasse Surgical Associates in Reno, Nevada.
Pinpointing the cause of bloating can be a helpful first step, since the speed with which bloating recedes can depend on the underlying trigger.
The strategies below can help ease bloating in the moment and, in some cases, reduce or even prevent future instances of bloating.
Sipping water before, during, and after meals can help reduce bloating by flushing excess sodium, which can often lead to bloating.
If youre bloated, you may not feel up to a vigorous workout, but thats OK. Even a walk around the block can help stimulate your digestive system and move trapped gas along.
Some yoga poses can help improve digestion and ease bloating by promoting intestinal movement.
Give these poses a try:
Research suggests peppermint oil capsules can help ease bloating and other symptoms of IBS. Just know that peppermint oil can sometimes cause heartburn.
Its always a good idea to check with your regular medical provider before trying peppermint oil or any other supplements.
Note: Do not ingest peppermint oil straight from an essential oil bottle. Only ever take capsules that are specially formulated for internal use and recommended by a doctor.
A gentle, circular massage can help stimulate your bowels and provide some relief.
Try massaging from your right hip bone up toward your ribcage, across the upper part of your belly, and down toward your left hip bone.
Digestive enzyme supplements can also help with bloating.
Over-the-counter products like Lactase and Beano help break down food components for quick relief.
Epsom salt is a chemical compound made of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen.
Some anecdotal evidence suggests adding Epsom salt to a warm bath can help ease symptoms of bloating. Very little scientific evidence supports this practice, but a warm bath can still help reduce stress and promote relaxation, which could help you feel better.
You may feel inclined to do almost anything to relieve the discomfort and appearance of a bloated belly, but its always best to avoid so-called detox drinks and pills.
Theres no magic pill or product, and anything marketed as such is just a waste of money, says Mastela. Bloating has nothing to do with detox. Your body can detox on its own quite easily without expensive products.
Some people also recommend taking Epsom salt by mouth with water for a laxative effect, but this wont do much to relieve abdominal discomfort. In fact, taking Epsom salt orally can actually cause bloating.
While bloating can sometimes happen as a symptom of a underlying health concern, the cause often lies in your diet and eating habits.
Sasse explains that mild, intermittent bloating is pretty normal part of life.
The best strategy often involves watching for dietary items that cause the bloating and avoiding them. This could mean getting tested for a gluten allergy or lactose intolerance and making dietary modifications accordingly.
For more long-term relief from bloating, Sasse recommends:
It can also help to avoid or cut back on carbonated drinks, chewing gum, using straws, and foods that cause gas.
Some evidence suggests probiotics could help improve IBS symptoms like bloating, so it may be worth considering adding probiotic-rich foods, like kefir or Greek yogurt, to your diet.
These tips may not automatically ease bloating in the moment, but they could help minimize bloating in the future.
If bloating is an ongoing issue, it never hurts to connect with your doctor.
Sasse also recommends keeping a food journal and making sure to note any foods that lead to that bloated feeling.
Each month, review the food diary by yourself or with a dietitian to go over patterns or strategies. In some cases, a specific food allergy may become evident, or it may become clearer that you are in fact gluten sensitive or lactose intolerant.
In some cases, abdominal bloating can be a symptom of serious health conditions. Its best to get medical support right away if you experience bloating with any of the following:
Feeling bloated after a meal isnt pleasant, but bloating by itself typically doesnt present any major health concerns. Pinpointing the cause can help you take steps to ease bloating in the moment and reduce the chances of it happening again.
If you have any concerns, consulting your doctor or dietitian is always a good option especially when bloating persists or causes serious distress.
Jessica Timmons has been working as a freelance writer since 2007, covering everything from pregnancy and parenting to cannabis, chiropractic, stand-up paddling, fitness, martial arts, home decor, and much more. Her work has appeared in mindbodygreen, Pregnancy & Newborn, Modern Parents Messy Kids, and Coffee + Crumbs. See what shes up to now at jessicatimmons.com.
See more here:
Bloating: Causes, Tips to Debloat, and More - Healthline
- Green tea: Not only helps in losing belly fat but also boosts your metabolism - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Iced Tea: Health Benefits Of Consuming This Refreshing Drink | TheHealthSite.com - TheHealthSite - June 21st, 2022
- Nucific Bio X4 Review: Is It The Best Supplement For Weight Loss? - The Island Now - June 21st, 2022
- Amazing Health Benefits of Thyme: A Medicinal Herb - Krishi Jagran - June 21st, 2022
- Baltimore Company Equitea Rolls Out First Batch Of Canned Tea - CBS Baltimore - June 21st, 2022
- Dust tea or whole leaf tea? As debate continues, here's the actual answer | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- Tea Therapy: 5 Natural teas you should try to calm your mind during stress - PINKVILLA - June 21st, 2022
- Ready to drink tea & coffee market expected to deliver dynamic progression | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- From kahwa to tandoori chai, different kinds of teas from across the country - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2022
- Breastfeeding supplements to increase milk supply: Effectiveness and choosing - Medical News Today - June 21st, 2022
- This Herb Shows Promise In Boosting Male Sex Drive & Fertility - mindbodygreen.com - June 21st, 2022
- 2 Types of Super Brain Foods to Defeat Dementia and Alzheimer's - The Epoch Times - June 21st, 2022
- 8 Healthy and Delicious Types of Iced Tea to Make This Summer - AARP - June 12th, 2022
- VitalFlow Reviews - Is it Effective for Prostate Problems? Don't Buy Vital Flow Until You Read This! - MarylandReporter.com - June 12th, 2022
- Are You Including These Essentials in Your Diet? - State-Journal.com - June 12th, 2022
- Ready-to-Drink Tea Market to Forsee Commendable Growth of US$ 70.5 Bn By 2032, Due To Growing Demand for Healthier Substitutes to Carbonated Drinks |... - June 12th, 2022
- Global Health and Wellness Foods Market to Reach $1 Trillion by 2026 - Yahoo Finance - June 12th, 2022
- Mother and daughter's dream teas success - NutraIngredients.com - June 4th, 2022
- 4 Potential Side Effects of the Paleo Diet - Healthline - May 16th, 2022
- Ways to improve your health in less than a minute - Southern Courier - May 16th, 2022
- From Immune Function and Cognition to Cardiovascular Health and Cancer Prevention - Health Benefits of Tea Revealed by Researchers from Across the... - May 3rd, 2022
- The Health Benefits Of Drinking Kombucha - Tasting Table - May 3rd, 2022
- COVID-19 and antibiotic resistance: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2022
- Arthritis: Green tea may help 'block' the production of molecules that cause joint damage - Express - May 3rd, 2022
- 10 Delicious Smoothie Ingredients Dietitians Say Will Boost Your Longevity - Well+Good - May 3rd, 2022
- Not all beverages are bad for diabetes patients. Hibiscus tea, cinnamon drinks keep blood sugar in check - Economic Times - May 3rd, 2022
- 'Brain food': Can eating certain things help prevent dementia? - The Irish Times - May 3rd, 2022
- Skin Care for Rosacea: 7 FAQs About Ingredients, How To, and More - Healthline - May 3rd, 2022
- At 6.0% of CAGR Green Tea Market Share will increase and aimed to cross US$ 21456.2 million in 2027 - Digital Journal - April 20th, 2022
- What Happens to Your Blood Sugar When You Drink Tea Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - April 20th, 2022
- Quercetin: What It Is, How Much You Need, and Where to Find It - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Stir up something refreshing this summer with these iced tea brands in India - Lifestyle Asia India - April 20th, 2022
- Climate change and war are threatening coffee cultivation's future: Study - Egypt Today - April 20th, 2022
- Cuzen Matcha Maker review: How to make matcha with the press of a button - Reviewed - April 20th, 2022
- How to Improve Your Heart Health Quickly and Naturally - Healthline - April 20th, 2022
- Your Guide To Keeping Your Liver Healthy And Fighting Fit All Through The Year - NDTV Swirlster - April 20th, 2022
- Easy exercises for staying fit and managing weight this Ramadan - The Daily Star - April 20th, 2022
- Moringa (Drumstick Tree): Benefits, Safety, Dosage, and More - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Synapse XT Reviews 2022: A Real Tinnitus Supplement Or Fake One? - Blog - The Island Now - April 7th, 2022
- New Hollings head and neck cancer researcher brings expertise in biomarkers and immunotherapy - Medical University of South Carolina - April 7th, 2022
- Which tea has the most caffeine? - Medical News Today - March 26th, 2022
- TestoPrime Review 2022 | Research, Studies & Results on Testo prime - Firstpost - March 26th, 2022
- The Real Reason Green Tea Might Make You Nauseated - Mashed - January 22nd, 2022
- The Most Popular Types Of Oranges Ranked - Tasting Table - January 22nd, 2022
- The 5:2 diet: A popular way of intermittent fasting to lose weight - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- How to live longer: The cholesterol-lowering drink to add disease-free years to your life - Express - December 13th, 2021
- Blood pressure has spiked during the pandemic, but these tips can help you lower yours - PhillyVoice.com - December 13th, 2021
- Cant Fall Asleep? These Vitamin Deficiencies Could Be Behind Your Insomnia - The Better India - December 13th, 2021
- Why You Shouldnt Use Menthol Lozenges If You Have a Sore Throat, According to an ENT Doc - Well+Good - December 13th, 2021
- Keoni CBD Gummies Reviews - ( Scam Or Legit ) Is It Worth For You? - Kent Reporter - November 27th, 2021
- 12 of the best items to include in a chemo care package - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- Isolated systolic hypertension: Definition, symptoms, and more - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- Should You Take Green Tea at Night or Right Before Hitting Bed? Here's What we Know - India.com - October 19th, 2021
- It's Official: Green Tea Is Basically a Miracle Health Beverage - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 19th, 2021
- Keoni CBD Gummies Reviews - ( Scam Or Legit ) Is It Worth For You? - The Daily World - October 19th, 2021
- Alzheimers Q&A: Can drinking tea reduce the risk of cognitive decline in older adults? - The Advocate - October 19th, 2021
- Heart attack: Best diet to improve cardiometabolic benefits and reduce risk new study - Daily Express - October 19th, 2021
- Dr. Amy Lee's Nucific BIO-X4 Has Over 5,000 Positive Reviews 4-in-1 probiotic helps support gut health while reducing unhealthy cravings - PRNewswire - October 19th, 2021
- What foods and drinks will make us feel healthier? - The Jerusalem Post - October 8th, 2021
- What Is the Portfolio Diet, and Does It Lower Cholesterol? - Healthline - July 26th, 2021
- 50 Health Tips Every Man Should Know - 24/7 Wall St. - July 26th, 2021
- Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice: Drink it For Sleep Apnea - The Beet - July 11th, 2021
- What is phytotherapy; know everything about its healthy side - Times of India - July 11th, 2021
- EXPLAINER: Partial to a cup of coffee or tea? Here's all you need to know about caffeine! - Leinster Leader - July 11th, 2021
- Do Detox Diets Work? Here's How to Do it the Healthy Way - The Beet - July 1st, 2021
- Health Benefits of Celery Juice: Should You Try it? - The Beet - July 1st, 2021
- Teabags For Sunburn Relief - How To Apply Tea On Sunburns - Women's Health - June 15th, 2021
- Dry Scooping Pre-workout Powder Is the Latest Dangerous Trend to Hit TikTok - Self - June 15th, 2021
- Number of siblings and cardiovascular health: Study explores link - Medical News Today - June 2nd, 2021
- Green Tea Market Demand Analysis in 2020, Global Revenue, Top Companies Growth Forecast to 2027 Renewable Energy Zone - Renewable Energy Zone - June 2nd, 2021
- Monk fruit: Benefits, how to eat, and more - Medical News Today - June 2nd, 2021
- International Tea Day: 5 Myths About Tea You Should Stop Believing Today - NDTV Food - May 22nd, 2021
- Best Anti-Inflammatory FoodsPlus What To Avoid - Forbes - May 22nd, 2021
- Changing consumer taste, increasing health concerns, and growing in product offering continues to fuel green tea market globally The Courier - The... - May 22nd, 2021
- Can Too Much Sleep Cause Depression? What To Know - Healthline - May 22nd, 2021
- 7 Foods and Drinks That May Cause Cloudy Urine - Healthline - May 22nd, 2021
- Wellbutrin Weight Loss - Bupropion Antidepressants that Cause Weight Loss - L.A. Weekly - May 22nd, 2021
- Popular Drinks That Are Wrecking Your Body, Say Dietitians - Eat This, Not That - May 22nd, 2021
- The Secrets of Potentiating The Natural Kratom - UrbanMatter - May 22nd, 2021
- Nutraceuticals Market Size, Demand, Competitive Analysis, Regional Growth and Forecast by 2025 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 22nd, 2021