Celery juice is back. The low-calorievegetablestole the show from kale, spinach, and other greens because of anecdotal health claims made by celebrities, athletes, and influencers, on social media. Two of the most influential celery juicers areKim Kardashian and Novack Djovak who touted the juice fortreating personal health conditions and supporting better digestion. Others suggestcelery juice clears their skin, alleviates headaches, treats sleeping disorders, aids weight loss, and more. However, nutritionists say there's not enough evidence as to whether the celery juice health claims are true. Studies have yet to be conducted. Instead, nutritionists advise people to drink celery juice for its science-backed health benefits such as providing a good source of vitamin K, potassium, andhelping you stay hydrated.Here's everything you need to know about the celery juice trend, if it actually works, and if you should thevibrant green drink.
The celery phenomenon started whenAnthony William(the OG celery juicer) published the book:Medical Medium Celery Juice: The Most Powerful Medicine of Our Time Healing Millions Worldwideand advised his 3.2 million Instagram followers to drink 16 ounces of organic celery juice on an empty stomach every morning for its natural healing powers, crediting the information to what he calls the "Spirit of Compassion."
Several publications includingThe New York Timespoint outthat William's claims such as drinking celery juice to help clear skin and support a healthy digestive system are not backed by science. In fact, human's reaction to the vegetablehas not been tested,as the only published studies have been testedon animals such as mice or rats.
Willaim's massive social media following spread the word quickly.Influencers, celebrities, and athletes like Gwyneth Paltrow, Kim Kardashian, and Novak Djokovicalso helpedspread awareness around celery juice, claiming it helped with some kind of health condition: Digestion, weight loss, acne, sleeping, andmore.
ThenGooppublished a piece written by William calledThe Medical Medium on the Virtues of Celery Juice: "In my opinion, celery has an incredible ability to create sweeping improvements for all kinds of health issues," he wrote. No lesser influencer than Kim Kardashian met with William, who told her todrink celery juice for her psoriasis, according to Shape.The tennis star who pays close attention to digestion health told the interviewerGraham Bensingerhe drinksthree liquids in the morning including celery juice for its health benefits.
Juice shops also played a role in marketing celery.In fact, it was some stores' hero product following this craze. Juice Pressaddedthe one-ingredient juice to their detox menu which customers happily paid more than $7 for. They also work with influencers to promote the juice to their followers. But as successful as Juice Press was, there came a point when demand couldn't meet supply.Three months ago we couldnt provide enough celery juice for about 4 days,Michael Karsch, CEO of Juice Press toldThe New York Times. Pressed Juicery also went out of their way to create a bottledcelery juice and noted William's beliefs in the selling-point description: "Drink every day on an empty stomach for maximum benefits."
There is a lack of studies that prove thecelery juice health claims are true, and in fact, most of the studies have been tested on rats or mice, with a focus on celery seeds or celery extract. Theres no scientific evidence to support any of the claims being made, Rachel E. Scherr (assistant research scientist in nutrition at the University of California, Davis) told The New York Times.
Other health claims such as celery juice for hydration and nutrients may be true. Celery is roughly 95 percent water and contains 165 mg of potassium per 1/2 cup of celery, an important nutrient that helps regulate fluid balance. Celery also contains high amounts of vitamin K, 30 mcg per 1 cup of celery. However, the vegetable contains such small amounts of vitamin A and C, two important nutrients for immunity. Whereas carrots contain triple the amount of vitamin C.
Bottom line: There's not enough evidence to say theanecdotal health claims about celery juice are true. But, celery juice may help promote better hydrationand is full of potassium.
Although there is limited information about the health benefits of celery on humans, plenty of research has been tested on animals, suggesting that celery may prevent disease, may help you lose weight, and may lower inflammation in the body.
In a studypublished in the National Library of Medicine, a test was conducted on ratsthat were treated withdoxorubicin, a chemotherapy medication used to treat cancer, to understand the antioxidant activity of celery. Agroup of researchers led by professorJovanka Kolarovi, found that celery root water increases antioxidants in the liver and that water of celery leaves increases glutathione, an antioxidant in plants that's capable of preventing disease. The results indicated that celery can have antioxidant effects. The same study says: "Celery can prevent cardiovascular diseases,jaundice, liver and lien diseases, urinary tract obstruction,gout,and rheumatic disorders."
Drinking celery juice was a big hit among dieters who wanted to lose weight, and in fact, they may have been on the right path. Celery extract was investigatedby a team of researchers led byWesam Kootiwho measured its effectson the lipid of rats that were fed a high-fat diet. The result showed that celery "significantly decreased the cholesterol, triglycerides [body fat], and low-density lipoprotein [transports fat molecules around the body] in the treated group as compared to the control group," according to the study.
One of the best ways to reduce inflammation in your body is to eat a diet high in vegetables, fruits, legumes, and seeds. Yet, eating more anti-inflammatory foods like celery may also help. An experimental study explains that celery extract has anti-inflammatory properties which can reduce your risk of chronic disease.
Another studytested on mice suggests that the "stems of the celery plant possessedsignificant anti-inflammatory activitydue to the presence of polar constituents in the extract."
While there hasn't been enough research about the incredible health claims made by celery juice enthusiasts to determine its validity, the fiber-densevegetable is still a great whole food to add to your plate for other numerous health benefits. The most recent health craze that's taking over TikTok is boiledLettuce Water, supposedly helping people fall asleep more easily.Stay tuned for our next article that breaks down the health benefits of lettuce, and find out if boiling it in water is a fad or here to stay.
Here are the best foods to eat on repeat, to boost immunity and fight inflammation. And stay off the red meat.
Read more here:
Health Benefits of Celery Juice: Should You Try it? - The Beet
- Green tea: Not only helps in losing belly fat but also boosts your metabolism - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Iced Tea: Health Benefits Of Consuming This Refreshing Drink | TheHealthSite.com - TheHealthSite - June 21st, 2022
- Nucific Bio X4 Review: Is It The Best Supplement For Weight Loss? - The Island Now - June 21st, 2022
- Amazing Health Benefits of Thyme: A Medicinal Herb - Krishi Jagran - June 21st, 2022
- Baltimore Company Equitea Rolls Out First Batch Of Canned Tea - CBS Baltimore - June 21st, 2022
- Dust tea or whole leaf tea? As debate continues, here's the actual answer | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- Tea Therapy: 5 Natural teas you should try to calm your mind during stress - PINKVILLA - June 21st, 2022
- Ready to drink tea & coffee market expected to deliver dynamic progression | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- From kahwa to tandoori chai, different kinds of teas from across the country - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2022
- Breastfeeding supplements to increase milk supply: Effectiveness and choosing - Medical News Today - June 21st, 2022
- This Herb Shows Promise In Boosting Male Sex Drive & Fertility - mindbodygreen.com - June 21st, 2022
- 2 Types of Super Brain Foods to Defeat Dementia and Alzheimer's - The Epoch Times - June 21st, 2022
- 8 Healthy and Delicious Types of Iced Tea to Make This Summer - AARP - June 12th, 2022
- VitalFlow Reviews - Is it Effective for Prostate Problems? Don't Buy Vital Flow Until You Read This! - MarylandReporter.com - June 12th, 2022
- Are You Including These Essentials in Your Diet? - State-Journal.com - June 12th, 2022
- Ready-to-Drink Tea Market to Forsee Commendable Growth of US$ 70.5 Bn By 2032, Due To Growing Demand for Healthier Substitutes to Carbonated Drinks |... - June 12th, 2022
- Global Health and Wellness Foods Market to Reach $1 Trillion by 2026 - Yahoo Finance - June 12th, 2022
- Mother and daughter's dream teas success - NutraIngredients.com - June 4th, 2022
- 4 Potential Side Effects of the Paleo Diet - Healthline - May 16th, 2022
- Ways to improve your health in less than a minute - Southern Courier - May 16th, 2022
- From Immune Function and Cognition to Cardiovascular Health and Cancer Prevention - Health Benefits of Tea Revealed by Researchers from Across the... - May 3rd, 2022
- The Health Benefits Of Drinking Kombucha - Tasting Table - May 3rd, 2022
- COVID-19 and antibiotic resistance: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2022
- Arthritis: Green tea may help 'block' the production of molecules that cause joint damage - Express - May 3rd, 2022
- 10 Delicious Smoothie Ingredients Dietitians Say Will Boost Your Longevity - Well+Good - May 3rd, 2022
- Not all beverages are bad for diabetes patients. Hibiscus tea, cinnamon drinks keep blood sugar in check - Economic Times - May 3rd, 2022
- 'Brain food': Can eating certain things help prevent dementia? - The Irish Times - May 3rd, 2022
- Skin Care for Rosacea: 7 FAQs About Ingredients, How To, and More - Healthline - May 3rd, 2022
- At 6.0% of CAGR Green Tea Market Share will increase and aimed to cross US$ 21456.2 million in 2027 - Digital Journal - April 20th, 2022
- What Happens to Your Blood Sugar When You Drink Tea Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - April 20th, 2022
- Quercetin: What It Is, How Much You Need, and Where to Find It - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Stir up something refreshing this summer with these iced tea brands in India - Lifestyle Asia India - April 20th, 2022
- Climate change and war are threatening coffee cultivation's future: Study - Egypt Today - April 20th, 2022
- Cuzen Matcha Maker review: How to make matcha with the press of a button - Reviewed - April 20th, 2022
- How to Improve Your Heart Health Quickly and Naturally - Healthline - April 20th, 2022
- Your Guide To Keeping Your Liver Healthy And Fighting Fit All Through The Year - NDTV Swirlster - April 20th, 2022
- Easy exercises for staying fit and managing weight this Ramadan - The Daily Star - April 20th, 2022
- Moringa (Drumstick Tree): Benefits, Safety, Dosage, and More - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Synapse XT Reviews 2022: A Real Tinnitus Supplement Or Fake One? - Blog - The Island Now - April 7th, 2022
- New Hollings head and neck cancer researcher brings expertise in biomarkers and immunotherapy - Medical University of South Carolina - April 7th, 2022
- Which tea has the most caffeine? - Medical News Today - March 26th, 2022
- TestoPrime Review 2022 | Research, Studies & Results on Testo prime - Firstpost - March 26th, 2022
- The Real Reason Green Tea Might Make You Nauseated - Mashed - January 22nd, 2022
- The Most Popular Types Of Oranges Ranked - Tasting Table - January 22nd, 2022
- The 5:2 diet: A popular way of intermittent fasting to lose weight - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- How to live longer: The cholesterol-lowering drink to add disease-free years to your life - Express - December 13th, 2021
- Blood pressure has spiked during the pandemic, but these tips can help you lower yours - PhillyVoice.com - December 13th, 2021
- Cant Fall Asleep? These Vitamin Deficiencies Could Be Behind Your Insomnia - The Better India - December 13th, 2021
- Why You Shouldnt Use Menthol Lozenges If You Have a Sore Throat, According to an ENT Doc - Well+Good - December 13th, 2021
- Keoni CBD Gummies Reviews - ( Scam Or Legit ) Is It Worth For You? - Kent Reporter - November 27th, 2021
- 12 of the best items to include in a chemo care package - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- Isolated systolic hypertension: Definition, symptoms, and more - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- Should You Take Green Tea at Night or Right Before Hitting Bed? Here's What we Know - India.com - October 19th, 2021
- It's Official: Green Tea Is Basically a Miracle Health Beverage - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 19th, 2021
- Keoni CBD Gummies Reviews - ( Scam Or Legit ) Is It Worth For You? - The Daily World - October 19th, 2021
- Alzheimers Q&A: Can drinking tea reduce the risk of cognitive decline in older adults? - The Advocate - October 19th, 2021
- Heart attack: Best diet to improve cardiometabolic benefits and reduce risk new study - Daily Express - October 19th, 2021
- Dr. Amy Lee's Nucific BIO-X4 Has Over 5,000 Positive Reviews 4-in-1 probiotic helps support gut health while reducing unhealthy cravings - PRNewswire - October 19th, 2021
- Bloating: Causes, Tips to Debloat, and More - Healthline - October 19th, 2021
- What foods and drinks will make us feel healthier? - The Jerusalem Post - October 8th, 2021
- What Is the Portfolio Diet, and Does It Lower Cholesterol? - Healthline - July 26th, 2021
- 50 Health Tips Every Man Should Know - 24/7 Wall St. - July 26th, 2021
- Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice: Drink it For Sleep Apnea - The Beet - July 11th, 2021
- What is phytotherapy; know everything about its healthy side - Times of India - July 11th, 2021
- EXPLAINER: Partial to a cup of coffee or tea? Here's all you need to know about caffeine! - Leinster Leader - July 11th, 2021
- Do Detox Diets Work? Here's How to Do it the Healthy Way - The Beet - July 1st, 2021
- Teabags For Sunburn Relief - How To Apply Tea On Sunburns - Women's Health - June 15th, 2021
- Dry Scooping Pre-workout Powder Is the Latest Dangerous Trend to Hit TikTok - Self - June 15th, 2021
- Number of siblings and cardiovascular health: Study explores link - Medical News Today - June 2nd, 2021
- Green Tea Market Demand Analysis in 2020, Global Revenue, Top Companies Growth Forecast to 2027 Renewable Energy Zone - Renewable Energy Zone - June 2nd, 2021
- Monk fruit: Benefits, how to eat, and more - Medical News Today - June 2nd, 2021
- International Tea Day: 5 Myths About Tea You Should Stop Believing Today - NDTV Food - May 22nd, 2021
- Best Anti-Inflammatory FoodsPlus What To Avoid - Forbes - May 22nd, 2021
- Changing consumer taste, increasing health concerns, and growing in product offering continues to fuel green tea market globally The Courier - The... - May 22nd, 2021
- Can Too Much Sleep Cause Depression? What To Know - Healthline - May 22nd, 2021
- 7 Foods and Drinks That May Cause Cloudy Urine - Healthline - May 22nd, 2021
- Wellbutrin Weight Loss - Bupropion Antidepressants that Cause Weight Loss - L.A. Weekly - May 22nd, 2021
- Popular Drinks That Are Wrecking Your Body, Say Dietitians - Eat This, Not That - May 22nd, 2021
- The Secrets of Potentiating The Natural Kratom - UrbanMatter - May 22nd, 2021
- Nutraceuticals Market Size, Demand, Competitive Analysis, Regional Growth and Forecast by 2025 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 22nd, 2021