The elements that constitute longevity have long eluded medical circles worldwide. But it is clearer than ever that evading illness is key. Antioxidants boast life-prolonging effects because they rid the body of harmful substances. But some antioxidants, such as those found in green tea are more potent than others.
Green tea is an excellent source of catechins, a potent antioxidant revered for its protective effects against disease.
Researchers believe that the compounds are responsible for the beverage's cholesterol-lowering effects, explains the AARP.
The specific type of catechins found in green tea is ECGC, which is renowned as being one of the most potent.
One meta-analysis published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggested that green tea significantly reduces total cholesterol, including LDL or bad cholesterol.
READ MORE: How to live longer: The cholesterol-lowering drink that significantly boosts longevity
A host of studies have also highlighted the life-prolonging effects of ECGC, explaining it may add more than a year of disease-free life.
In one study performed on rodents, researchers split the young adult mice into three groups to observe the protective effects underpinning ECGC.
One group served as controls and were offered a standard lab chow diet alongside plain water.
Another group ate high-fat diets and drank water spiked with fructose, while the third group ate the same diet accompanied with water laced with EGCG.
Results later revealed that rodents that consumed ECGC performed better in cognitive tests, confirming the neuroprotective effects of the compound.
A filled cup of brewed green contains around 50 to 100 mg of ECGC.
Green tea contains the highest concentrations of the compound, which increases with brewing time.
Separate studies conducted at Oregon State University have suggested the compound has the ability to increase the bodys number of regulatory T cells, which may help protect against autoimmune diseases.
Researchers found the compound was able to regulate appetite among the rodents following a high fat and high sugar diet.
In 2020, a study conducted on over 100,000 Chinese participants found those who drank green tea more than three times a week, lived on average 15 months longer than those who did.
The others of the study wrote: Habitual tea drinks had 1.41 years longer of cardiovascular disease-free years and 1.26 years longer of life expectancy at the index age of 50.
Tea consumption was associated with reduced risks of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease and all-cause mortality, especially among those consistent habitual tea drinks.
EGCG is known to aid with inflammation, weight loss, and prevent heart and brain disease, but it is not the only beneficial compound found in green tea.
Tea also contains theanine, an amino acid that can relieve stress, and arginine, which also has a relaxing effect.
The stress-reducing effect of thiamine and green tea is thought to contribute to the maintenance of mental health and the control of brain ageing in many people, wrote the authors of one study published in the journal Molecules.
In doing so, green tea suppresses brain ageing through the activity of nerve cells by both EGCG and its degradation products, and the reductions in stress achieved by thiamine and arginine.
Data highlighting the life-prolonging effects of green tea stem from observational studies to date, so no causal relationship has yet been confirmed.
- Green tea: Not only helps in losing belly fat but also boosts your metabolism - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Iced Tea: Health Benefits Of Consuming This Refreshing Drink | TheHealthSite.com - TheHealthSite - June 21st, 2022
- Nucific Bio X4 Review: Is It The Best Supplement For Weight Loss? - The Island Now - June 21st, 2022
- Amazing Health Benefits of Thyme: A Medicinal Herb - Krishi Jagran - June 21st, 2022
- Baltimore Company Equitea Rolls Out First Batch Of Canned Tea - CBS Baltimore - June 21st, 2022
- Dust tea or whole leaf tea? As debate continues, here's the actual answer | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- Tea Therapy: 5 Natural teas you should try to calm your mind during stress - PINKVILLA - June 21st, 2022
- Ready to drink tea & coffee market expected to deliver dynamic progression | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- From kahwa to tandoori chai, different kinds of teas from across the country - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2022
- Breastfeeding supplements to increase milk supply: Effectiveness and choosing - Medical News Today - June 21st, 2022
- This Herb Shows Promise In Boosting Male Sex Drive & Fertility - mindbodygreen.com - June 21st, 2022
- 2 Types of Super Brain Foods to Defeat Dementia and Alzheimer's - The Epoch Times - June 21st, 2022
- 8 Healthy and Delicious Types of Iced Tea to Make This Summer - AARP - June 12th, 2022
- VitalFlow Reviews - Is it Effective for Prostate Problems? Don't Buy Vital Flow Until You Read This! - MarylandReporter.com - June 12th, 2022
- Are You Including These Essentials in Your Diet? - State-Journal.com - June 12th, 2022
- Ready-to-Drink Tea Market to Forsee Commendable Growth of US$ 70.5 Bn By 2032, Due To Growing Demand for Healthier Substitutes to Carbonated Drinks |... - June 12th, 2022
- Global Health and Wellness Foods Market to Reach $1 Trillion by 2026 - Yahoo Finance - June 12th, 2022
- Mother and daughter's dream teas success - NutraIngredients.com - June 4th, 2022
- 4 Potential Side Effects of the Paleo Diet - Healthline - May 16th, 2022
- Ways to improve your health in less than a minute - Southern Courier - May 16th, 2022
- From Immune Function and Cognition to Cardiovascular Health and Cancer Prevention - Health Benefits of Tea Revealed by Researchers from Across the... - May 3rd, 2022
- The Health Benefits Of Drinking Kombucha - Tasting Table - May 3rd, 2022
- COVID-19 and antibiotic resistance: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2022
- Arthritis: Green tea may help 'block' the production of molecules that cause joint damage - Express - May 3rd, 2022
- 10 Delicious Smoothie Ingredients Dietitians Say Will Boost Your Longevity - Well+Good - May 3rd, 2022
- Not all beverages are bad for diabetes patients. Hibiscus tea, cinnamon drinks keep blood sugar in check - Economic Times - May 3rd, 2022
- 'Brain food': Can eating certain things help prevent dementia? - The Irish Times - May 3rd, 2022
- Skin Care for Rosacea: 7 FAQs About Ingredients, How To, and More - Healthline - May 3rd, 2022
- At 6.0% of CAGR Green Tea Market Share will increase and aimed to cross US$ 21456.2 million in 2027 - Digital Journal - April 20th, 2022
- What Happens to Your Blood Sugar When You Drink Tea Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - April 20th, 2022
- Quercetin: What It Is, How Much You Need, and Where to Find It - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Stir up something refreshing this summer with these iced tea brands in India - Lifestyle Asia India - April 20th, 2022
- Climate change and war are threatening coffee cultivation's future: Study - Egypt Today - April 20th, 2022
- Cuzen Matcha Maker review: How to make matcha with the press of a button - Reviewed - April 20th, 2022
- How to Improve Your Heart Health Quickly and Naturally - Healthline - April 20th, 2022
- Your Guide To Keeping Your Liver Healthy And Fighting Fit All Through The Year - NDTV Swirlster - April 20th, 2022
- Easy exercises for staying fit and managing weight this Ramadan - The Daily Star - April 20th, 2022
- Moringa (Drumstick Tree): Benefits, Safety, Dosage, and More - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Synapse XT Reviews 2022: A Real Tinnitus Supplement Or Fake One? - Blog - The Island Now - April 7th, 2022
- New Hollings head and neck cancer researcher brings expertise in biomarkers and immunotherapy - Medical University of South Carolina - April 7th, 2022
- Which tea has the most caffeine? - Medical News Today - March 26th, 2022
- TestoPrime Review 2022 | Research, Studies & Results on Testo prime - Firstpost - March 26th, 2022
- The Real Reason Green Tea Might Make You Nauseated - Mashed - January 22nd, 2022
- The Most Popular Types Of Oranges Ranked - Tasting Table - January 22nd, 2022
- The 5:2 diet: A popular way of intermittent fasting to lose weight - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- Blood pressure has spiked during the pandemic, but these tips can help you lower yours - PhillyVoice.com - December 13th, 2021
- Cant Fall Asleep? These Vitamin Deficiencies Could Be Behind Your Insomnia - The Better India - December 13th, 2021
- Why You Shouldnt Use Menthol Lozenges If You Have a Sore Throat, According to an ENT Doc - Well+Good - December 13th, 2021
- Keoni CBD Gummies Reviews - ( Scam Or Legit ) Is It Worth For You? - Kent Reporter - November 27th, 2021
- 12 of the best items to include in a chemo care package - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- Isolated systolic hypertension: Definition, symptoms, and more - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- Should You Take Green Tea at Night or Right Before Hitting Bed? Here's What we Know - India.com - October 19th, 2021
- It's Official: Green Tea Is Basically a Miracle Health Beverage - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 19th, 2021
- Keoni CBD Gummies Reviews - ( Scam Or Legit ) Is It Worth For You? - The Daily World - October 19th, 2021
- Alzheimers Q&A: Can drinking tea reduce the risk of cognitive decline in older adults? - The Advocate - October 19th, 2021
- Heart attack: Best diet to improve cardiometabolic benefits and reduce risk new study - Daily Express - October 19th, 2021
- Dr. Amy Lee's Nucific BIO-X4 Has Over 5,000 Positive Reviews 4-in-1 probiotic helps support gut health while reducing unhealthy cravings - PRNewswire - October 19th, 2021
- Bloating: Causes, Tips to Debloat, and More - Healthline - October 19th, 2021
- What foods and drinks will make us feel healthier? - The Jerusalem Post - October 8th, 2021
- What Is the Portfolio Diet, and Does It Lower Cholesterol? - Healthline - July 26th, 2021
- 50 Health Tips Every Man Should Know - 24/7 Wall St. - July 26th, 2021
- Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice: Drink it For Sleep Apnea - The Beet - July 11th, 2021
- What is phytotherapy; know everything about its healthy side - Times of India - July 11th, 2021
- EXPLAINER: Partial to a cup of coffee or tea? Here's all you need to know about caffeine! - Leinster Leader - July 11th, 2021
- Do Detox Diets Work? Here's How to Do it the Healthy Way - The Beet - July 1st, 2021
- Health Benefits of Celery Juice: Should You Try it? - The Beet - July 1st, 2021
- Teabags For Sunburn Relief - How To Apply Tea On Sunburns - Women's Health - June 15th, 2021
- Dry Scooping Pre-workout Powder Is the Latest Dangerous Trend to Hit TikTok - Self - June 15th, 2021
- Number of siblings and cardiovascular health: Study explores link - Medical News Today - June 2nd, 2021
- Green Tea Market Demand Analysis in 2020, Global Revenue, Top Companies Growth Forecast to 2027 Renewable Energy Zone - Renewable Energy Zone - June 2nd, 2021
- Monk fruit: Benefits, how to eat, and more - Medical News Today - June 2nd, 2021
- International Tea Day: 5 Myths About Tea You Should Stop Believing Today - NDTV Food - May 22nd, 2021
- Best Anti-Inflammatory FoodsPlus What To Avoid - Forbes - May 22nd, 2021
- Changing consumer taste, increasing health concerns, and growing in product offering continues to fuel green tea market globally The Courier - The... - May 22nd, 2021
- Can Too Much Sleep Cause Depression? What To Know - Healthline - May 22nd, 2021
- 7 Foods and Drinks That May Cause Cloudy Urine - Healthline - May 22nd, 2021
- Wellbutrin Weight Loss - Bupropion Antidepressants that Cause Weight Loss - L.A. Weekly - May 22nd, 2021
- Popular Drinks That Are Wrecking Your Body, Say Dietitians - Eat This, Not That - May 22nd, 2021
- The Secrets of Potentiating The Natural Kratom - UrbanMatter - May 22nd, 2021
- Nutraceuticals Market Size, Demand, Competitive Analysis, Regional Growth and Forecast by 2025 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 22nd, 2021