Strap: The city is preparing for the monsoons to hit, and these warming drinks should be at the top of your list
If you are a Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory) fan, you know a hot beverage is the perfect drink to cheer up someone. It is also a good accoutrement for a rainy day and doubles up as a healing potion for various aliments like cold, fever, nausea and more. A mug of piping hot tea or coffee to sip while gazing out of the window, breathing in the petrichor and taking in the pitter patter of raindrops is just the recipe for a perfect day. Add a good book or a plate of steaming bhajjis with friends and family around, and it makes a core memory for most of us.
This season also brings with it a host of aliments, and Ayurveda lists many natural ingredients that can help cure them without having to turn to modern medicine. Here are five warming drinks which can help you enjoy both good health and the beautiful weather.
This is a type of coffee that originates from Kerala and has several health benefits. Sukku malli coffee/chukku Kaapi is a soothing drink perfect for Mumbais monsoons. Sukku is dry ginger and malli is coriander seeds and are common ingredients that are available in any Indian kitchen. It boosts immunity and offers relief to those suffering from congestion, fever, sore throats and running noses as well as stomach issues and digestion. It can be prepared by adding milk or without milk too.
This tea is infused with cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, and served with saffron and almonds. Traditionally drank on cold winter days, it can be consumed on chilly rainy days as well. Kashmiri kahwa is a traditional green tea with immunity-boosting qualities and helps reduce stress and anxiety.
Golden milk or haldi doodh in India is an age-old beverage that our grandmothers and mothers have subscribed to heal a cold. Turmeric tea, another popular drink made using haldi, is made by steeping fresh or dried turmeric in water. Haldi doodh is simply made by adding the powder to warm milk. It is high in manganese, iron and copper. Turmeric tea also has no caffeine and pairs well with camomile, which is good to sip on before bedtime. Sometimes, people also add kesar to the drink to add more flavour. It also contains antioxidants, has mood-improving qualities and helps with destressing.
This drink has gained popularity in recent years as a superfood. A type of green tea that is grown in the shade in tea plantations, matcha plays an important role in the traditional Japanese tea ceremony. The leaves are ground into a fine powder and whisked into hot water instead of the usual steeping method. This extracts the most benefits out of the tea. Matcha tea is high in natural antioxidants and helps protect the liver, which is the main organ that detoxifies the body.
It is made by steeping black tea and then adding a squeeze of lemon and honey, lemon tea is a fan favourite that is made for a quick pick-me up when that mid-afternoon slump hits. This citrusy fruit is anti-oxidant rich and cancer-fighting properties. It also regulates sugar levels and is recommended by doctors to deal with post-Surgical swelling or edema.
Ginger infused tea better known as Adrak wali chai in India is a classic hot beverage that has many beneficial effects for your health. Similar to Chukku kaapi, ginger tea is good to treat the common cold, cough and helps with arthritis, diabetes, and to relieve nausea. Ginger tea is made by either grating it into the chai or by boiling it in water to extract all its good benefits. This root contains key phytonutrients known as gingerols which have an antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effect.
8 - green cardamoms
6 - cloves
1 tsp - fennel seeds (saunf)
2 pcs - cinnamon
1 tsp - black pepper corns
1 tsp - ginger powder
2 cups - milk
2 cups - water
4 tbsp - tea leaves
Sugar to taste
1 tsp - grated ginger
Grind all the spices together.
Boil milk and water, add the tea leaves and sugar.
Simmer for two minutes.
Add 1 tsp of the masala, grated ginger.
Remove from heat, cover and allow to stand for 3 to 4 minutes, to infuse.
Strain and serve.
Recipe by chef Pankaj Bhadouria
Medicinal benefits of herbs and spices
Turmeric: Fights inflammation
Cinnamon: Adds flavour and boosts immunity, helps with sore throat
Nutmeg: Mixed in milk or tea helps boost metabolism
Holy Basil: Provides relief from congestions, body aches and indigestion
Asafoetida: Soothes stomach problems
Black Pepper: Great for asthma and sinus
Inputs by chef Nishant Choubey and chef Reetu Uday Kugaji
- Hot topics::Banana peel nutrition, gut benefits of green tea, post ... - October 1st, 2022
- Health Benefits and Chemical Composition of Matcha Green Tea ... - PubMed - October 1st, 2022
- The Unexpected Oral Health Benefits Of Green Tea - Health Digest - October 1st, 2022
- 16 Unexpected health benefits of sipping chamomile tea - PINKVILLA - October 1st, 2022
- Green Tea Found To Improve Gut Health and Lower Blood Sugar - SciTechDaily - October 1st, 2022
- Craving Fatty Foods? Research Reveals a Shocking Explanation - The Beet - October 1st, 2022
- Diabetes: Not Green tea! This red drink helps reduce blood sugar levels, hypertension and no; it's not beetr - Times Now - October 1st, 2022
- Best and Worst Drinks for Psoriasis - Everyday Health - October 1st, 2022
- Add These Disease-Fighting Foods to Your Diet to Live a Longer Life - 24/7 Wall St. - October 1st, 2022
- Experts Have Beef with Study Linking Depression and Vegetarian Diet - Healthline - October 1st, 2022
- From kombucha to energy and protein products, we test new health drinks... - The US Sun - October 1st, 2022
- 5 Ways to Stop Dementia, According to Experts Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - October 1st, 2022
- Brad Pitt's New Skin Care Line Inspired by Wine: What Experts Think - Healthline - October 1st, 2022
- The Health Benefits of Fit Tea - The Daily Campus - September 22nd, 2022
- How long does it take to lose weight? - Livescience.com - September 22nd, 2022
- 20 Unexpected Foods That Add More Vitamin C To Your Diet - Tasting Table - September 22nd, 2022
- Why warm water is the universal weight loss drink, Know when to drink it for most benefits - India TV News - September 22nd, 2022
- Super Slim Keto Gummies Reviews: Will Keto Gummy Help To Lose Weight? - Washington City Paper - September 22nd, 2022
- Lights Out CBD Gummies [Exposed 2022] Reviews & Where Can I Get CBD Gummies for Pain? - The Tribune India - September 22nd, 2022
- The Kourtney Kardashian-Approved Health Hacks I Swear By - The Everygirl - September 22nd, 2022
- Pimples in the way of your festive glow? Try THESE natural ways to get rid of the annoying bumps - Times Now - September 22nd, 2022
- Is Green Tea Extract the New Holy Grail to a Healthy Gut? - The Everygirl - September 14th, 2022
- 12 Best Foods To Eat To Get Rid Of And Prevent Hormonal Acne - Health Digest - September 14th, 2022
- 10 Foods And Drinks That Are Natural Diuretics - Health Digest - September 14th, 2022
- Is It Safe to Eat Green Potatoes? Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - September 14th, 2022
- Types of tea that help in managing hypertension, check details here - Kalinga TV - September 14th, 2022
- 5 Immunity-Boosting Beverages to Stay at the Top of Your Health - News18 - September 14th, 2022
- Heaven In A Teacup: Tracing The Origin Of Kashmiri Kahwa - Homegrown - September 14th, 2022
- MegaFood Stirs it Up with the Launch of New Digestive Health Water Enhancers - PR Newswire - September 14th, 2022
- The Best Teas for 2022 - National Today - September 6th, 2022
- 3 Benefits of drinking flavored tea - Web News Observer - August 29th, 2022
- Nine benefits of antioxidants: From disease prevention to healthy aging - Livescience.com - August 29th, 2022
- This Underrated Mushroom Is Packed With Functional Health Benefits - mindbodygreen - August 29th, 2022
- 11 Low-calorie Superfoods To Eat Every Day Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - August 29th, 2022
- Looking to Give Your Metabolism a Boost? These 20 Foods Will Speed Up Your Metabolism - Rockdale Newton Citizen - August 29th, 2022
- 18 Foods To Add To Your Diet If You Want To Reduce Anxiety - YourTango - August 29th, 2022
- Eat This Fruit Daily to Stay Sharp and Live Longer, Research Find - The Beet - August 21st, 2022
- Green tea may help reduce gut inflammation, blood sugar Beaufort South Carolina The Island News - The Island News - August 21st, 2022
- Tea Burn Review 2022 ( Be Alert From FAKE) Do Tea Burn Ingredients Really Burn Fat? - The Tribune India - August 21st, 2022
- Reasons Why Hibiscus Tea Is Beneficial For Your Health - Pragativadi - August 21st, 2022
- Green Coffee: Health Benefits, Side Effects, Recipes - United News of Bangladesh - UNB - August 21st, 2022
- Im a Dietitian, and These Are the 5 Brain-Boosting Beverages I Drink To Support My Cognitive Health As I Age - Well+Good - August 21st, 2022
- Oral Health: 8 Superfoods That Help Cure Bad Breath - NDTV - August 21st, 2022
- Is caffeine a friend or foe? - American Heart Association News - August 13th, 2022
- Do This for Just 2 Minutes After Meals to Lower Blood Sugar, Study Says - The Beet - August 13th, 2022
- Dont Rely On Tea And Coffee For That Energy Boost, Says Nutritionist Anjali Mukerjee - NDTV Doctor - August 13th, 2022
- Adaptogenic mushrooms: Not quite magic, but they'll give your morning coffee a lift - Leafly - August 13th, 2022
- Can you have chocolate and wine while losing weight with The Sirtfood Diet? - Daily Record - August 13th, 2022
- Leaky gut: Green tea may help reduce gut inflammation, blood sugar - Medical News Today - August 5th, 2022
- What is CBD Tea and How it Can Help You - One Green Planet - August 5th, 2022
- 5 Home Remedies for Summer Health Bothers - Woman's World - August 5th, 2022
- The Definitive List of the Best Drinks for High Blood Pressure Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 27th, 2022
- World Hepatitis Day 2022: Best 10 Superfoods For Your Liver To Keep It Clean & Healthy - NDTV - July 27th, 2022
- Novel delivery of green tea extract shows promise against whitespot and AHPND - The Fish Site - July 27th, 2022
- Healthiest Drink In The World? 5 Terrific Health Benefits From Tea, According To Science! - Study Finds - July 27th, 2022
- Tea-based Skin Care Products Market East Asia Region is Expected to Retain its Dominant Position in the Global Due to High Production of Tea in the... - July 27th, 2022
- 8 Best Healthy Drinks, According to Nutritionists - Good Housekeeping - July 27th, 2022
- Skincare tips: Here's how green tea helps in diabetes, anti-ageing, skin cancer - Hindustan Times - July 27th, 2022
- Tea Market Analysis and In-depth study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecast to 2027 - Digital Journal - July 27th, 2022
- Every SmartWater Flavor Ranked Worst To Best - Mashed - July 27th, 2022
- 20 Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Weight Loss: Start Your Mornings Right - The Island Now - July 27th, 2022
- The 6 Best Teas To Slow Aging, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 18th, 2022
- Hydration Beyond Water: These Foods And Drinks Are Great To Hydrate Your Body - NDTV Food - July 18th, 2022
- What Vitamins Help With Weight Loss? - The Island Now - July 18th, 2022
- Training your brain to reduce risk of dementia - Axios - July 18th, 2022
- Is green tea good for you? | BBC Good Food - July 10th, 2022
- Health Benefits and Chemical Composition of Matcha Green Tea: A Review - July 10th, 2022
- The Link Between Cytokines and Psoriatic Arthritis - Healthline - July 10th, 2022
- Osteoporosis and osteoarthritis: Definitions, link, and prevention - Medical News Today - July 10th, 2022
- The Lesser-Known Health Benefits of Herbal Teas What You Need To Know - SciTechDaily - July 2nd, 2022
- 6 Best Teas To Boost Metabolism and Lose Weight Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 2nd, 2022
- Healthy And Organic: 5 Latest Trends In Beverages For 2022 - NDTV Food - July 2nd, 2022
- 6 New Iced Tea Flavours You Can Try This Iced Tea Month - NDTV Food - July 2nd, 2022
- 5 Best Drinking Habits for High Blood Pressure, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 2nd, 2022
- Caffeine and osteoporosis: What is the link? - Medical News Today - July 2nd, 2022
- Are Mushrooms the Next Trendy Coffee Alternative? - The Manual - July 2nd, 2022
- Flavoured Tea Market Trends, Share, Industry Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities and Global Forecast By 2029 Designer Women - Designer Women - July 2nd, 2022
- THIS vitamin deficiency can increase your heart disease risk - Times of India - July 2nd, 2022
- Green tea: Not only helps in losing belly fat but also boosts your metabolism - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Iced Tea: Health Benefits Of Consuming This Refreshing Drink | TheHealthSite.com - TheHealthSite - June 21st, 2022