Rosacea is a chronic condition that typically causes facial skin, especially around the cheeks, to blush or flush more easily.
Along with discoloration, rosacea can also cause visible blood vessels, as well as swelling, skin thickening, and textural changes to your skin.
People living with rosacea may have a hard time building an effective skin care routine because this condition can make your skin more sensitive to many common ingredients, says Jeffrey Hsu, MD, a board certified dermatologist and founder of Oak Dermatology.
Whats more, since rosacea can cause a stinging and burning sensation, your skin may be more prone to irritation from certain skin care ingredients.
Ultimately, the best way to manage and improve rosacea involves working with a dermatologist, who can offer support with:
That said, if you dont have the opportunity to consult a dermatologist, you might have some questions about caring for rosacea-prone skin. The guide below can help you develop a rosacea-safe skin care routine at home.
Theres no cure for rosacea, but Hsu says the right skin care products can help minimize symptoms.
Once you identify what ingredients trigger rosacea flare-ups and remove them from your routine, you may notice significant improvements in your skin.
Not only that, but after eliminating products with harsh ingredients, you can replace them with products that boost hydration and strengthen your skin barrier two things particularly important in rosacea treatment, according to Cybele Fishman, MD, a board certified dermatologist with Advanced Dermatology PC.
Not taking care of your skin which could mean under- or over-washing, neglecting to moisturize, or skipping sunscreen can make rosacea worse, says Michele Green, MD, a cosmetic dermatologist in private practice.
Choosing skin care products with these specific ingredients may help relieve and calm rosacea symptoms:
If you have rosacea, or suspect you might have rosacea, you may want to avoid skin care products with the following ingredients:
These ingredients can irritate your skin and they might make rosacea symptoms worse.
According to Wood, retinoids like tretinoin may also worsen rosacea, causing increased skin dryness, flakiness, and discoloration. Its always a good idea to check with a dermatologist before using retinoids.
Cannabidiol (CBD), which is extracted from the cannabis plant, has also drawn attention as a potentially beneficial skin care ingredient, mainly due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Authors of a 2020 review acknowledged that CBD may prove helpful for strengthening the skin barrier, which is impaired in most people with rosacea. To date, though, not much research has explored the benefits of applying CBD topically.
Hsu notes that more studies are needed to confirm whether CBD can actually help treat rosacea and if so, how much CBD you should apply to get these benefits.
The following signs might suggest that a skin care product is making your rosacea worse, according to Wood and Green:
Whenever you introduce a new product into your routine, dermatologists strongly recommend doing a patch test first to check how your skin reacts.
Just keep in mind that patch testing doesnt offer a failproof way to test for sensitivity. Even if you dont have a reaction in a patch test, the skin on your face may react differently to that product.
The skin on the face is thinner and more sensitive than skin elsewhere on the body, like the inner arm where most patch testing is done, says Green. However, patch testing is still a great means to assess whether or not a skin care product will likely cause a reaction.
Whats more, while patch testing can help identify allergies, it doesnt always identify all possible unwanted reactions.
You can have a negative patch test to an ingredient and experience irritation from it, Fishman explains.
Overall, dermatologists agree that less is more when it comes to caring for rosacea-prone skin.
Using too many products, products with too many ingredients, or washing your face too frequently, can all damage your skin and increase sensitivity and irritation, says Hsu.
These general tips offer a place to start developing your skin care routine:
Sunscreen is a must for everyone. But if you have rosacea, youll want to take particular care to apply (and reapply) sunscreen each and every day.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, just several minutes of sunlight exposure can trigger redness and flushing.
Green recommends using a fragrance-free, broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
Mineral-based (physical) sunscreens, like those with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, are less likely to cause irritation than chemical sunscreens, like those with avobenzone or oxybenzone.
Learn more about the difference between physical and chemical sunscreens.
A 2020 study considered 2,783 Chinese participants: 1,245 with rosacea and 1,538 without rosacea.
Study authors found that certain habits appeared closely linked to developing rosacea, including:
While the study focused on skin care practices that could lead to rosacea, these habits could worsen symptoms, too.
Its not always possible to manage rosacea symptoms on your own.
If you notice your symptoms getting worse, even after youve made changes to your skin care routine, Wood recommends connecting with a board certified dermatologist.
A dermatologist can offer more support by:
Learn more about what dermatologists do.
Many dermatologists have adopted telemedicine platforms to better serve people searching for more accessible healthcare options.
Your insurance may cover a virtual visit, says Hsu, but if it doesnt, or you dont have insurance, some dermatologists offer a reasonable out-of-pocket cost for a consultation.
Managing rosacea starts with building an effective skin care regimen. Dermatologists advise keeping your routine as simple as possible: Use a gentle non-foaming cleanser once or twice a day, follow up with moisturizer, and apply SPF 30 (or higher) sunscreen daily.
As you adjust to your new skin care routine, pay attention to your rosacea symptoms. If they start getting worse or dont improve within 2 to 4 weeks, consulting a dermatologist is a good next step.
Rebecca Strong is a Boston-based freelance writer covering health and wellness, fitness, food, lifestyle, and beauty. Her work has also appeared in Insider, Bustle, StyleCaster, Eat This Not That, AskMen, and Elite Daily.
Originally posted here:
Skin Care for Rosacea: 7 FAQs About Ingredients, How To, and More - Healthline
- Hot topics::Banana peel nutrition, gut benefits of green tea, post ... - October 1st, 2022
- Health Benefits and Chemical Composition of Matcha Green Tea ... - PubMed - October 1st, 2022
- The Unexpected Oral Health Benefits Of Green Tea - Health Digest - October 1st, 2022
- 16 Unexpected health benefits of sipping chamomile tea - PINKVILLA - October 1st, 2022
- Green Tea Found To Improve Gut Health and Lower Blood Sugar - SciTechDaily - October 1st, 2022
- Craving Fatty Foods? Research Reveals a Shocking Explanation - The Beet - October 1st, 2022
- Diabetes: Not Green tea! This red drink helps reduce blood sugar levels, hypertension and no; it's not beetr - Times Now - October 1st, 2022
- Best and Worst Drinks for Psoriasis - Everyday Health - October 1st, 2022
- Add These Disease-Fighting Foods to Your Diet to Live a Longer Life - 24/7 Wall St. - October 1st, 2022
- Experts Have Beef with Study Linking Depression and Vegetarian Diet - Healthline - October 1st, 2022
- From kombucha to energy and protein products, we test new health drinks... - The US Sun - October 1st, 2022
- 5 Ways to Stop Dementia, According to Experts Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - October 1st, 2022
- Brad Pitt's New Skin Care Line Inspired by Wine: What Experts Think - Healthline - October 1st, 2022
- The Health Benefits of Fit Tea - The Daily Campus - September 22nd, 2022
- How long does it take to lose weight? - Livescience.com - September 22nd, 2022
- 20 Unexpected Foods That Add More Vitamin C To Your Diet - Tasting Table - September 22nd, 2022
- Why warm water is the universal weight loss drink, Know when to drink it for most benefits - India TV News - September 22nd, 2022
- Super Slim Keto Gummies Reviews: Will Keto Gummy Help To Lose Weight? - Washington City Paper - September 22nd, 2022
- Lights Out CBD Gummies [Exposed 2022] Reviews & Where Can I Get CBD Gummies for Pain? - The Tribune India - September 22nd, 2022
- The Kourtney Kardashian-Approved Health Hacks I Swear By - The Everygirl - September 22nd, 2022
- Pimples in the way of your festive glow? Try THESE natural ways to get rid of the annoying bumps - Times Now - September 22nd, 2022
- Is Green Tea Extract the New Holy Grail to a Healthy Gut? - The Everygirl - September 14th, 2022
- 12 Best Foods To Eat To Get Rid Of And Prevent Hormonal Acne - Health Digest - September 14th, 2022
- 10 Foods And Drinks That Are Natural Diuretics - Health Digest - September 14th, 2022
- Is It Safe to Eat Green Potatoes? Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - September 14th, 2022
- Types of tea that help in managing hypertension, check details here - Kalinga TV - September 14th, 2022
- 5 Immunity-Boosting Beverages to Stay at the Top of Your Health - News18 - September 14th, 2022
- Heaven In A Teacup: Tracing The Origin Of Kashmiri Kahwa - Homegrown - September 14th, 2022
- MegaFood Stirs it Up with the Launch of New Digestive Health Water Enhancers - PR Newswire - September 14th, 2022
- The Best Teas for 2022 - National Today - September 6th, 2022
- 3 Benefits of drinking flavored tea - Web News Observer - August 29th, 2022
- Nine benefits of antioxidants: From disease prevention to healthy aging - Livescience.com - August 29th, 2022
- This Underrated Mushroom Is Packed With Functional Health Benefits - mindbodygreen - August 29th, 2022
- 11 Low-calorie Superfoods To Eat Every Day Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - August 29th, 2022
- Looking to Give Your Metabolism a Boost? These 20 Foods Will Speed Up Your Metabolism - Rockdale Newton Citizen - August 29th, 2022
- 18 Foods To Add To Your Diet If You Want To Reduce Anxiety - YourTango - August 29th, 2022
- Eat This Fruit Daily to Stay Sharp and Live Longer, Research Find - The Beet - August 21st, 2022
- Green tea may help reduce gut inflammation, blood sugar Beaufort South Carolina The Island News - The Island News - August 21st, 2022
- Tea Burn Review 2022 ( Be Alert From FAKE) Do Tea Burn Ingredients Really Burn Fat? - The Tribune India - August 21st, 2022
- Reasons Why Hibiscus Tea Is Beneficial For Your Health - Pragativadi - August 21st, 2022
- Green Coffee: Health Benefits, Side Effects, Recipes - United News of Bangladesh - UNB - August 21st, 2022
- Im a Dietitian, and These Are the 5 Brain-Boosting Beverages I Drink To Support My Cognitive Health As I Age - Well+Good - August 21st, 2022
- Oral Health: 8 Superfoods That Help Cure Bad Breath - NDTV - August 21st, 2022
- Is caffeine a friend or foe? - American Heart Association News - August 13th, 2022
- Do This for Just 2 Minutes After Meals to Lower Blood Sugar, Study Says - The Beet - August 13th, 2022
- Dont Rely On Tea And Coffee For That Energy Boost, Says Nutritionist Anjali Mukerjee - NDTV Doctor - August 13th, 2022
- Adaptogenic mushrooms: Not quite magic, but they'll give your morning coffee a lift - Leafly - August 13th, 2022
- Can you have chocolate and wine while losing weight with The Sirtfood Diet? - Daily Record - August 13th, 2022
- Leaky gut: Green tea may help reduce gut inflammation, blood sugar - Medical News Today - August 5th, 2022
- What is CBD Tea and How it Can Help You - One Green Planet - August 5th, 2022
- 5 Home Remedies for Summer Health Bothers - Woman's World - August 5th, 2022
- The Definitive List of the Best Drinks for High Blood Pressure Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 27th, 2022
- World Hepatitis Day 2022: Best 10 Superfoods For Your Liver To Keep It Clean & Healthy - NDTV - July 27th, 2022
- Novel delivery of green tea extract shows promise against whitespot and AHPND - The Fish Site - July 27th, 2022
- Healthiest Drink In The World? 5 Terrific Health Benefits From Tea, According To Science! - Study Finds - July 27th, 2022
- Tea-based Skin Care Products Market East Asia Region is Expected to Retain its Dominant Position in the Global Due to High Production of Tea in the... - July 27th, 2022
- 8 Best Healthy Drinks, According to Nutritionists - Good Housekeeping - July 27th, 2022
- Skincare tips: Here's how green tea helps in diabetes, anti-ageing, skin cancer - Hindustan Times - July 27th, 2022
- Tea Market Analysis and In-depth study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecast to 2027 - Digital Journal - July 27th, 2022
- Every SmartWater Flavor Ranked Worst To Best - Mashed - July 27th, 2022
- 20 Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Weight Loss: Start Your Mornings Right - The Island Now - July 27th, 2022
- The 6 Best Teas To Slow Aging, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 18th, 2022
- Hydration Beyond Water: These Foods And Drinks Are Great To Hydrate Your Body - NDTV Food - July 18th, 2022
- What Vitamins Help With Weight Loss? - The Island Now - July 18th, 2022
- Training your brain to reduce risk of dementia - Axios - July 18th, 2022
- Is green tea good for you? | BBC Good Food - July 10th, 2022
- Health Benefits and Chemical Composition of Matcha Green Tea: A Review - July 10th, 2022
- The Link Between Cytokines and Psoriatic Arthritis - Healthline - July 10th, 2022
- Osteoporosis and osteoarthritis: Definitions, link, and prevention - Medical News Today - July 10th, 2022
- The Lesser-Known Health Benefits of Herbal Teas What You Need To Know - SciTechDaily - July 2nd, 2022
- 6 Best Teas To Boost Metabolism and Lose Weight Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 2nd, 2022
- Healthy And Organic: 5 Latest Trends In Beverages For 2022 - NDTV Food - July 2nd, 2022
- 6 New Iced Tea Flavours You Can Try This Iced Tea Month - NDTV Food - July 2nd, 2022
- 5 Best Drinking Habits for High Blood Pressure, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 2nd, 2022
- Caffeine and osteoporosis: What is the link? - Medical News Today - July 2nd, 2022
- Are Mushrooms the Next Trendy Coffee Alternative? - The Manual - July 2nd, 2022
- Sip of health: Rainy day beverages to warm you - Hindustan Times - July 2nd, 2022
- Flavoured Tea Market Trends, Share, Industry Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities and Global Forecast By 2029 Designer Women - Designer Women - July 2nd, 2022
- THIS vitamin deficiency can increase your heart disease risk - Times of India - July 2nd, 2022
- Green tea: Not only helps in losing belly fat but also boosts your metabolism - Times of India - June 21st, 2022