Rosacea is a chronic condition that typically causes facial skin, especially around the cheeks, to blush or flush more easily.
Along with discoloration, rosacea can also cause visible blood vessels, as well as swelling, skin thickening, and textural changes to your skin.
People living with rosacea may have a hard time building an effective skin care routine because this condition can make your skin more sensitive to many common ingredients, says Jeffrey Hsu, MD, a board certified dermatologist and founder of Oak Dermatology.
Whats more, since rosacea can cause a stinging and burning sensation, your skin may be more prone to irritation from certain skin care ingredients.
Ultimately, the best way to manage and improve rosacea involves working with a dermatologist, who can offer support with:
That said, if you dont have the opportunity to consult a dermatologist, you might have some questions about caring for rosacea-prone skin. The guide below can help you develop a rosacea-safe skin care routine at home.
Theres no cure for rosacea, but Hsu says the right skin care products can help minimize symptoms.
Once you identify what ingredients trigger rosacea flare-ups and remove them from your routine, you may notice significant improvements in your skin.
Not only that, but after eliminating products with harsh ingredients, you can replace them with products that boost hydration and strengthen your skin barrier two things particularly important in rosacea treatment, according to Cybele Fishman, MD, a board certified dermatologist with Advanced Dermatology PC.
Not taking care of your skin which could mean under- or over-washing, neglecting to moisturize, or skipping sunscreen can make rosacea worse, says Michele Green, MD, a cosmetic dermatologist in private practice.
Choosing skin care products with these specific ingredients may help relieve and calm rosacea symptoms:
If you have rosacea, or suspect you might have rosacea, you may want to avoid skin care products with the following ingredients:
These ingredients can irritate your skin and they might make rosacea symptoms worse.
According to Wood, retinoids like tretinoin may also worsen rosacea, causing increased skin dryness, flakiness, and discoloration. Its always a good idea to check with a dermatologist before using retinoids.
Cannabidiol (CBD), which is extracted from the cannabis plant, has also drawn attention as a potentially beneficial skin care ingredient, mainly due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Authors of a 2020 review acknowledged that CBD may prove helpful for strengthening the skin barrier, which is impaired in most people with rosacea. To date, though, not much research has explored the benefits of applying CBD topically.
Hsu notes that more studies are needed to confirm whether CBD can actually help treat rosacea and if so, how much CBD you should apply to get these benefits.
The following signs might suggest that a skin care product is making your rosacea worse, according to Wood and Green:
Whenever you introduce a new product into your routine, dermatologists strongly recommend doing a patch test first to check how your skin reacts.
Just keep in mind that patch testing doesnt offer a failproof way to test for sensitivity. Even if you dont have a reaction in a patch test, the skin on your face may react differently to that product.
The skin on the face is thinner and more sensitive than skin elsewhere on the body, like the inner arm where most patch testing is done, says Green. However, patch testing is still a great means to assess whether or not a skin care product will likely cause a reaction.
Whats more, while patch testing can help identify allergies, it doesnt always identify all possible unwanted reactions.
You can have a negative patch test to an ingredient and experience irritation from it, Fishman explains.
Overall, dermatologists agree that less is more when it comes to caring for rosacea-prone skin.
Using too many products, products with too many ingredients, or washing your face too frequently, can all damage your skin and increase sensitivity and irritation, says Hsu.
These general tips offer a place to start developing your skin care routine:
Sunscreen is a must for everyone. But if you have rosacea, youll want to take particular care to apply (and reapply) sunscreen each and every day.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology, just several minutes of sunlight exposure can trigger redness and flushing.
Green recommends using a fragrance-free, broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30.
Mineral-based (physical) sunscreens, like those with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, are less likely to cause irritation than chemical sunscreens, like those with avobenzone or oxybenzone.
Learn more about the difference between physical and chemical sunscreens.
A 2020 study considered 2,783 Chinese participants: 1,245 with rosacea and 1,538 without rosacea.
Study authors found that certain habits appeared closely linked to developing rosacea, including:
While the study focused on skin care practices that could lead to rosacea, these habits could worsen symptoms, too.
Its not always possible to manage rosacea symptoms on your own.
If you notice your symptoms getting worse, even after youve made changes to your skin care routine, Wood recommends connecting with a board certified dermatologist.
A dermatologist can offer more support by:
Learn more about what dermatologists do.
Many dermatologists have adopted telemedicine platforms to better serve people searching for more accessible healthcare options.
Your insurance may cover a virtual visit, says Hsu, but if it doesnt, or you dont have insurance, some dermatologists offer a reasonable out-of-pocket cost for a consultation.
Managing rosacea starts with building an effective skin care regimen. Dermatologists advise keeping your routine as simple as possible: Use a gentle non-foaming cleanser once or twice a day, follow up with moisturizer, and apply SPF 30 (or higher) sunscreen daily.
As you adjust to your new skin care routine, pay attention to your rosacea symptoms. If they start getting worse or dont improve within 2 to 4 weeks, consulting a dermatologist is a good next step.
Rebecca Strong is a Boston-based freelance writer covering health and wellness, fitness, food, lifestyle, and beauty. Her work has also appeared in Insider, Bustle, StyleCaster, Eat This Not That, AskMen, and Elite Daily.
Originally posted here:
Skin Care for Rosacea: 7 FAQs About Ingredients, How To, and More - Healthline
- 4 Potential Side Effects of the Paleo Diet - Healthline - May 16th, 2022
- Ways to improve your health in less than a minute - Southern Courier - May 16th, 2022
- From Immune Function and Cognition to Cardiovascular Health and Cancer Prevention - Health Benefits of Tea Revealed by Researchers from Across the... - May 3rd, 2022
- The Health Benefits Of Drinking Kombucha - Tasting Table - May 3rd, 2022
- COVID-19 and antibiotic resistance: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2022
- Arthritis: Green tea may help 'block' the production of molecules that cause joint damage - Express - May 3rd, 2022
- 10 Delicious Smoothie Ingredients Dietitians Say Will Boost Your Longevity - Well+Good - May 3rd, 2022
- Not all beverages are bad for diabetes patients. Hibiscus tea, cinnamon drinks keep blood sugar in check - Economic Times - May 3rd, 2022
- 'Brain food': Can eating certain things help prevent dementia? - The Irish Times - May 3rd, 2022
- At 6.0% of CAGR Green Tea Market Share will increase and aimed to cross US$ 21456.2 million in 2027 - Digital Journal - April 20th, 2022
- What Happens to Your Blood Sugar When You Drink Tea Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - April 20th, 2022
- Quercetin: What It Is, How Much You Need, and Where to Find It - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Stir up something refreshing this summer with these iced tea brands in India - Lifestyle Asia India - April 20th, 2022
- Climate change and war are threatening coffee cultivation's future: Study - Egypt Today - April 20th, 2022
- Cuzen Matcha Maker review: How to make matcha with the press of a button - Reviewed - April 20th, 2022
- How to Improve Your Heart Health Quickly and Naturally - Healthline - April 20th, 2022
- Your Guide To Keeping Your Liver Healthy And Fighting Fit All Through The Year - NDTV Swirlster - April 20th, 2022
- Easy exercises for staying fit and managing weight this Ramadan - The Daily Star - April 20th, 2022
- Moringa (Drumstick Tree): Benefits, Safety, Dosage, and More - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Synapse XT Reviews 2022: A Real Tinnitus Supplement Or Fake One? - Blog - The Island Now - April 7th, 2022
- New Hollings head and neck cancer researcher brings expertise in biomarkers and immunotherapy - Medical University of South Carolina - April 7th, 2022
- Which tea has the most caffeine? - Medical News Today - March 26th, 2022
- TestoPrime Review 2022 | Research, Studies & Results on Testo prime - Firstpost - March 26th, 2022
- The Real Reason Green Tea Might Make You Nauseated - Mashed - January 22nd, 2022
- The Most Popular Types Of Oranges Ranked - Tasting Table - January 22nd, 2022
- The 5:2 diet: A popular way of intermittent fasting to lose weight - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- How to live longer: The cholesterol-lowering drink to add disease-free years to your life - Express - December 13th, 2021
- Blood pressure has spiked during the pandemic, but these tips can help you lower yours - PhillyVoice.com - December 13th, 2021
- Cant Fall Asleep? These Vitamin Deficiencies Could Be Behind Your Insomnia - The Better India - December 13th, 2021
- Why You Shouldnt Use Menthol Lozenges If You Have a Sore Throat, According to an ENT Doc - Well+Good - December 13th, 2021
- Keoni CBD Gummies Reviews - ( Scam Or Legit ) Is It Worth For You? - Kent Reporter - November 27th, 2021
- 12 of the best items to include in a chemo care package - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- Isolated systolic hypertension: Definition, symptoms, and more - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- Should You Take Green Tea at Night or Right Before Hitting Bed? Here's What we Know - India.com - October 19th, 2021
- It's Official: Green Tea Is Basically a Miracle Health Beverage - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 19th, 2021
- Keoni CBD Gummies Reviews - ( Scam Or Legit ) Is It Worth For You? - The Daily World - October 19th, 2021
- Alzheimers Q&A: Can drinking tea reduce the risk of cognitive decline in older adults? - The Advocate - October 19th, 2021
- Heart attack: Best diet to improve cardiometabolic benefits and reduce risk new study - Daily Express - October 19th, 2021
- Dr. Amy Lee's Nucific BIO-X4 Has Over 5,000 Positive Reviews 4-in-1 probiotic helps support gut health while reducing unhealthy cravings - PRNewswire - October 19th, 2021
- Bloating: Causes, Tips to Debloat, and More - Healthline - October 19th, 2021
- What foods and drinks will make us feel healthier? - The Jerusalem Post - October 8th, 2021
- What Is the Portfolio Diet, and Does It Lower Cholesterol? - Healthline - July 26th, 2021
- 50 Health Tips Every Man Should Know - 24/7 Wall St. - July 26th, 2021
- Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice: Drink it For Sleep Apnea - The Beet - July 11th, 2021
- What is phytotherapy; know everything about its healthy side - Times of India - July 11th, 2021
- EXPLAINER: Partial to a cup of coffee or tea? Here's all you need to know about caffeine! - Leinster Leader - July 11th, 2021
- Do Detox Diets Work? Here's How to Do it the Healthy Way - The Beet - July 1st, 2021
- Health Benefits of Celery Juice: Should You Try it? - The Beet - July 1st, 2021
- Teabags For Sunburn Relief - How To Apply Tea On Sunburns - Women's Health - June 15th, 2021
- Dry Scooping Pre-workout Powder Is the Latest Dangerous Trend to Hit TikTok - Self - June 15th, 2021
- Number of siblings and cardiovascular health: Study explores link - Medical News Today - June 2nd, 2021
- Green Tea Market Demand Analysis in 2020, Global Revenue, Top Companies Growth Forecast to 2027 Renewable Energy Zone - Renewable Energy Zone - June 2nd, 2021
- Monk fruit: Benefits, how to eat, and more - Medical News Today - June 2nd, 2021
- International Tea Day: 5 Myths About Tea You Should Stop Believing Today - NDTV Food - May 22nd, 2021
- Best Anti-Inflammatory FoodsPlus What To Avoid - Forbes - May 22nd, 2021
- Changing consumer taste, increasing health concerns, and growing in product offering continues to fuel green tea market globally The Courier - The... - May 22nd, 2021
- Can Too Much Sleep Cause Depression? What To Know - Healthline - May 22nd, 2021
- 7 Foods and Drinks That May Cause Cloudy Urine - Healthline - May 22nd, 2021
- Wellbutrin Weight Loss - Bupropion Antidepressants that Cause Weight Loss - L.A. Weekly - May 22nd, 2021
- Popular Drinks That Are Wrecking Your Body, Say Dietitians - Eat This, Not That - May 22nd, 2021
- The Secrets of Potentiating The Natural Kratom - UrbanMatter - May 22nd, 2021
- Nutraceuticals Market Size, Demand, Competitive Analysis, Regional Growth and Forecast by 2025 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 22nd, 2021
- Foods That Fight Infection: 20 Foods That Fight Infection and Boost Immunity - Parade - May 22nd, 2021
- Nutraceuticals Promote Well-Being and Prevention of Disease The Pacific Index - The Pacific Index - May 9th, 2021
- 7 foods that can help you burn fat and lose weight, according to dietitians - Insider - May 9th, 2021
- Springtime a Season to Cleanse, Renew and Rejuvenate - The Keene Sentinel - May 9th, 2021
- 17 of the best foods for your gut health including dark chocolate, raspberries and sweet potatoes - USA TODAY - April 24th, 2021
- Green tea vs Black coffee: What is better for weight loss? - Times of India - April 24th, 2021
- Is this the end of the Canucks' season? - Yahoo Canada Shine On - April 5th, 2021
- How Travis Etienne is taking 'a different pace' to the NFL - Yahoo Canada Shine On - April 5th, 2021
- Jason Sudeikis Advocated for Women's Rights With His SAG Awards Sweater - Yahoo Canada Shine On - April 5th, 2021
- Will Michael Carter's 'toughness' translate to the NFL? - Yahoo Canada Shine On - April 5th, 2021
- Weight Loss Plateau on Keto: Overview and How to Break It - Healthline - March 9th, 2021
- This Key Ingredient in Red Wine May Help Weaken COVID-19 Symptoms, Study Suggests | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - March 9th, 2021
- What Is The Best Fat Burner? - L.A. Weekly - March 9th, 2021
- New Cerebral Beverage BRINFEL Partners with Elite Pro Poker Players Phil Hellmuth, Jonathan Little and Jeff Gross - PRNewswire - March 9th, 2021
- 'School of Rock' star Rivkah Reyes opens up about the cost of child stardom - Yahoo Canada Shine On - March 9th, 2021
- Superfoods: What are They and Could They Aid in Longevity - Longevity LIVE - Longevity LIVE - February 17th, 2021
- Phenocal Review 2021: Benefits, Side Effects and Alternative - fingerlakes1.com - February 14th, 2021
- Hives on Black Skin: Appearance, Symptoms, and More - Healthline - February 11th, 2021