Psoriatic arthritis (PsA) is an autoimmune condition that causes joint pain, swelling, and inflammation. Often it occurs in people with psoriasis, an inflammatory autoimmune condition that affects the skin. Many people with PsA have high levels of cytokines, which are small proteins that play a role in immunity and inflammation.
Lowering cytokine levels can help enhance immunity and reduce inflammation, which may slow the progression of PsA and treat symptoms. You can do this by maintaining a lifestyle that promotes health benefits and taking cytokine inhibitor medications.
Read on to learn more about cytokines and their role in inflammation and psoriatic arthritis.
Cytokines are small signaling proteins that influence blood cell growth and cells related to immunity and inflammation. Your immune cells release cytokines, which act as inflammatory messengers and stimulate the immune system to fight diseases and infections. They can relay messages that:
The overproduction of pro-inflammatory cytokines may lead to a cytokine storm, which is an exaggerated immune response that causes inflammation and overactive immune cells. Cytokine storms can have several causes, including immunotherapy, infections, and autoimmune conditions.
Inflammation helps your body defend itself against bacteria, viruses, and toxins. However, releasing too many inflammatory cytokines or continuing the inflammatory response after the healing process is complete can harm your health.
Inflammatory cytokines can cause the immune system to attack itself, destroying healthy cells and tissue. This may lead to symptoms or conditions such as:
People with chronic inflammatory autoimmune conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and PsA often have high levels of inflammatory cytokines.
According to research from 2017, cytokine imbalances may play a role in causing psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis, which are both inflammatory autoimmune conditions. These findings may help scientists learn more about the genetic similarities of these two conditions and develop treatments for both.
Research has also shown that cytokines may play a part in the four pathologic events (or causes) in psoriatic disease, which are:
Since high levels of inflammatory cytokines are often linked to PsA, lowering your cytokine levels may help to alleviate symptoms. Some biologic medications may target or block specific cytokines to treat the condition or prevent its progression.
According to 2018 research, some biologic and small-molecular drugs that target particular cytokines and signaling pathways may help delay disease development and enhance the quality of life in people with PsA.
However, researchers found that more than 40 percent of people with psoriatic arthritis respond only partially or do not respond at all to these treatments.
Other research from 2021 points to the effectiveness of cytokine inhibitors to treat PsA. These medications block specific cytokine pathways linked to autoimmune inflammation, which may help reduce gut, skin, and joint inflammation.
To lower cytokines naturally, you must maintain a nutritious diet and health-promoting lifestyle to help boost immunity and minimize stress and inflammation.
Its important to try to exercise for at least 150 minutes per week and get lots of quality sleep and rest. Engaging in calming activities like having a massage, spending time in nature, and practicing deep breathing can also be beneficial.
Following a nutrient-rich, balanced diet can help reduce pro-inflammatory cytokine production. Here are some steps you can take to maximize your dietary benefits:
Reduce foods that can promote inflammation, including:
Cytokines are small chemical messengers that play a role in the activation of inflammation and the immune response.
High levels of inflammatory cytokines are often linked to autoimmune conditions, including PsA, which causes joint pain, swelling, and inflammation.
Researchers are learning more about biologic drugs that are designed to block the production of inflammatory cytokines, a process that may help alleviate symptoms of PsA and other conditions.
You can reduce your cytokine levels by eating a diet that supports your healthy, reducing stress, and exercising regularly.
Read the rest here:
The Link Between Cytokines and Psoriatic Arthritis - Healthline
- Hot topics::Banana peel nutrition, gut benefits of green tea, post ... - October 1st, 2022
- Health Benefits and Chemical Composition of Matcha Green Tea ... - PubMed - October 1st, 2022
- The Unexpected Oral Health Benefits Of Green Tea - Health Digest - October 1st, 2022
- 16 Unexpected health benefits of sipping chamomile tea - PINKVILLA - October 1st, 2022
- Green Tea Found To Improve Gut Health and Lower Blood Sugar - SciTechDaily - October 1st, 2022
- Craving Fatty Foods? Research Reveals a Shocking Explanation - The Beet - October 1st, 2022
- Diabetes: Not Green tea! This red drink helps reduce blood sugar levels, hypertension and no; it's not beetr - Times Now - October 1st, 2022
- Best and Worst Drinks for Psoriasis - Everyday Health - October 1st, 2022
- Add These Disease-Fighting Foods to Your Diet to Live a Longer Life - 24/7 Wall St. - October 1st, 2022
- Experts Have Beef with Study Linking Depression and Vegetarian Diet - Healthline - October 1st, 2022
- From kombucha to energy and protein products, we test new health drinks... - The US Sun - October 1st, 2022
- 5 Ways to Stop Dementia, According to Experts Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - October 1st, 2022
- Brad Pitt's New Skin Care Line Inspired by Wine: What Experts Think - Healthline - October 1st, 2022
- The Health Benefits of Fit Tea - The Daily Campus - September 22nd, 2022
- How long does it take to lose weight? - Livescience.com - September 22nd, 2022
- 20 Unexpected Foods That Add More Vitamin C To Your Diet - Tasting Table - September 22nd, 2022
- Why warm water is the universal weight loss drink, Know when to drink it for most benefits - India TV News - September 22nd, 2022
- Super Slim Keto Gummies Reviews: Will Keto Gummy Help To Lose Weight? - Washington City Paper - September 22nd, 2022
- Lights Out CBD Gummies [Exposed 2022] Reviews & Where Can I Get CBD Gummies for Pain? - The Tribune India - September 22nd, 2022
- The Kourtney Kardashian-Approved Health Hacks I Swear By - The Everygirl - September 22nd, 2022
- Pimples in the way of your festive glow? Try THESE natural ways to get rid of the annoying bumps - Times Now - September 22nd, 2022
- Is Green Tea Extract the New Holy Grail to a Healthy Gut? - The Everygirl - September 14th, 2022
- 12 Best Foods To Eat To Get Rid Of And Prevent Hormonal Acne - Health Digest - September 14th, 2022
- 10 Foods And Drinks That Are Natural Diuretics - Health Digest - September 14th, 2022
- Is It Safe to Eat Green Potatoes? Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - September 14th, 2022
- Types of tea that help in managing hypertension, check details here - Kalinga TV - September 14th, 2022
- 5 Immunity-Boosting Beverages to Stay at the Top of Your Health - News18 - September 14th, 2022
- Heaven In A Teacup: Tracing The Origin Of Kashmiri Kahwa - Homegrown - September 14th, 2022
- MegaFood Stirs it Up with the Launch of New Digestive Health Water Enhancers - PR Newswire - September 14th, 2022
- The Best Teas for 2022 - National Today - September 6th, 2022
- 3 Benefits of drinking flavored tea - Web News Observer - August 29th, 2022
- Nine benefits of antioxidants: From disease prevention to healthy aging - Livescience.com - August 29th, 2022
- This Underrated Mushroom Is Packed With Functional Health Benefits - mindbodygreen - August 29th, 2022
- 11 Low-calorie Superfoods To Eat Every Day Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - August 29th, 2022
- Looking to Give Your Metabolism a Boost? These 20 Foods Will Speed Up Your Metabolism - Rockdale Newton Citizen - August 29th, 2022
- 18 Foods To Add To Your Diet If You Want To Reduce Anxiety - YourTango - August 29th, 2022
- Eat This Fruit Daily to Stay Sharp and Live Longer, Research Find - The Beet - August 21st, 2022
- Green tea may help reduce gut inflammation, blood sugar Beaufort South Carolina The Island News - The Island News - August 21st, 2022
- Tea Burn Review 2022 ( Be Alert From FAKE) Do Tea Burn Ingredients Really Burn Fat? - The Tribune India - August 21st, 2022
- Reasons Why Hibiscus Tea Is Beneficial For Your Health - Pragativadi - August 21st, 2022
- Green Coffee: Health Benefits, Side Effects, Recipes - United News of Bangladesh - UNB - August 21st, 2022
- Im a Dietitian, and These Are the 5 Brain-Boosting Beverages I Drink To Support My Cognitive Health As I Age - Well+Good - August 21st, 2022
- Oral Health: 8 Superfoods That Help Cure Bad Breath - NDTV - August 21st, 2022
- Is caffeine a friend or foe? - American Heart Association News - August 13th, 2022
- Do This for Just 2 Minutes After Meals to Lower Blood Sugar, Study Says - The Beet - August 13th, 2022
- Dont Rely On Tea And Coffee For That Energy Boost, Says Nutritionist Anjali Mukerjee - NDTV Doctor - August 13th, 2022
- Adaptogenic mushrooms: Not quite magic, but they'll give your morning coffee a lift - Leafly - August 13th, 2022
- Can you have chocolate and wine while losing weight with The Sirtfood Diet? - Daily Record - August 13th, 2022
- Leaky gut: Green tea may help reduce gut inflammation, blood sugar - Medical News Today - August 5th, 2022
- What is CBD Tea and How it Can Help You - One Green Planet - August 5th, 2022
- 5 Home Remedies for Summer Health Bothers - Woman's World - August 5th, 2022
- The Definitive List of the Best Drinks for High Blood Pressure Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 27th, 2022
- World Hepatitis Day 2022: Best 10 Superfoods For Your Liver To Keep It Clean & Healthy - NDTV - July 27th, 2022
- Novel delivery of green tea extract shows promise against whitespot and AHPND - The Fish Site - July 27th, 2022
- Healthiest Drink In The World? 5 Terrific Health Benefits From Tea, According To Science! - Study Finds - July 27th, 2022
- Tea-based Skin Care Products Market East Asia Region is Expected to Retain its Dominant Position in the Global Due to High Production of Tea in the... - July 27th, 2022
- 8 Best Healthy Drinks, According to Nutritionists - Good Housekeeping - July 27th, 2022
- Skincare tips: Here's how green tea helps in diabetes, anti-ageing, skin cancer - Hindustan Times - July 27th, 2022
- Tea Market Analysis and In-depth study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecast to 2027 - Digital Journal - July 27th, 2022
- Every SmartWater Flavor Ranked Worst To Best - Mashed - July 27th, 2022
- 20 Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Weight Loss: Start Your Mornings Right - The Island Now - July 27th, 2022
- The 6 Best Teas To Slow Aging, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 18th, 2022
- Hydration Beyond Water: These Foods And Drinks Are Great To Hydrate Your Body - NDTV Food - July 18th, 2022
- What Vitamins Help With Weight Loss? - The Island Now - July 18th, 2022
- Training your brain to reduce risk of dementia - Axios - July 18th, 2022
- Is green tea good for you? | BBC Good Food - July 10th, 2022
- Health Benefits and Chemical Composition of Matcha Green Tea: A Review - July 10th, 2022
- Osteoporosis and osteoarthritis: Definitions, link, and prevention - Medical News Today - July 10th, 2022
- The Lesser-Known Health Benefits of Herbal Teas What You Need To Know - SciTechDaily - July 2nd, 2022
- 6 Best Teas To Boost Metabolism and Lose Weight Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 2nd, 2022
- Healthy And Organic: 5 Latest Trends In Beverages For 2022 - NDTV Food - July 2nd, 2022
- 6 New Iced Tea Flavours You Can Try This Iced Tea Month - NDTV Food - July 2nd, 2022
- 5 Best Drinking Habits for High Blood Pressure, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 2nd, 2022
- Caffeine and osteoporosis: What is the link? - Medical News Today - July 2nd, 2022
- Are Mushrooms the Next Trendy Coffee Alternative? - The Manual - July 2nd, 2022
- Sip of health: Rainy day beverages to warm you - Hindustan Times - July 2nd, 2022
- Flavoured Tea Market Trends, Share, Industry Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities and Global Forecast By 2029 Designer Women - Designer Women - July 2nd, 2022
- THIS vitamin deficiency can increase your heart disease risk - Times of India - July 2nd, 2022
- Green tea: Not only helps in losing belly fat but also boosts your metabolism - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Iced Tea: Health Benefits Of Consuming This Refreshing Drink | TheHealthSite.com - TheHealthSite - June 21st, 2022