*Brand Partner Content*
Wellbutrin is the brand name for bupropion, a prescription medication to help treat depression and help people quit smoking. An interesting side effect of Wellbutrin is weight loss!
It is not unusual to use antidepressants for weight loss.
Not surprisingly, a side effect like that catches the interest of a lot of people who are overweight or obese. But is it possible to use Wellbutrin specifically for weight loss?
In this article, we will take a closer look at Wellbutrin (bupropion), its abilities, and other factors that may be of interest to anyone who thinks it may be the right weight loss drug for them.
If you are contemplating using Wellbutrin / Bupropion for its intended usage (antidepressant and antipsychotic use) it is highly advised to seek professional medical advice before taking. The drug has lots of clinical data to back up its claims for its intended usage and therefore highly recommended for use to treat depression and smoking cessation.
If you are considering using Wellbutrin to reduce body weight or bupropion to combat weight gain there are other natural options to consider:
PhenQ is a natural fat burner and appetite suppressant that has helped countless men and women in losing weight quickly and safely. It is available directly from its own official website and does not require a prescription. PhenQ targets several areas of weight loss, it can help to reduce body mass index and baseline body weight.
CLICK TO READ MORE ON PHENQ
KetoCharge a weight loss pill that makes it easy to get into and stay in the keto state where your body actively burns through fat to energize your brain and body. KetoCharge increases your bodys natural keto production and is ideal if you are on a low carb diet. It can also help you avoid keto flu and guards against brain fog.
CLICK TO READ MORE ON KETOCHARGE
Phen24 another natural weight loss alternative to Wellbutrin. A more complex solution that requires 2 pills to be taken during the day and at night.
CLICK TO READ MORE ON PHEN24
Wellbutrin (Bupropion) is a medication that influences neurotransmitter activity. It was originally developed for treating depression but currently has several other on-label and off-label uses including treating post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), controlling anxiety, smoking cessation, and weight loss.
Neurotransmitters are the chemical messengers responsible for relaying messages within the central nervous system. The nerves appear to be able to recycle released neurotransmitters in a process known as reuptake.
Many experts believe depression may be the result of neurotransmitter imbalances.
Wellbutrin is a norepinephrinedopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI). It works by interfering with the reuptake of norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin.
Norepinephrine is both a neurotransmitter and a stress hormone. The body releases it in response to a perceived threat or stressful event.
In addition to being neurotransmitters, dopamine and serotonin are feel good hormones. As the name suggests, they both have a positive influence on your mood.
These medications can also be used as cognitive enhancers Nootropics. There are several natural nootropics available over the counter.
By inhibiting the reuptake of these three hormones/neurotransmitters, Wellbutrin keeps them available for carrying messages to the nerves. This suppresses appetite, improves mood, and increases energy.
Most dieters struggle with hunger so Wellbutrins ability to control appetite is very useful.
The medications ability to positively influence mood and boost energy is highly desirable too because the dietary and lifestyle changes that are necessary to encourage fat burning can bring down even the most cheerful of people and cause diet-related fatigue.
In addition to being distributed under the name Wellbutrin, Bupropion is also marketed under several other brand names including Aplenzin and Zyban. They target a major depressive disorder
Other Bupropion brand names include:
Bupropion is the only antidepressant that supports weight loss. However, it isnt the only medication that was originally intended to serve a different role and then proved to be a useful anti-obesity aid as well.
Naltrexone has a similar history. It was developed as a medication for managing alcohol and opioid addiction and subsequently proved to be capable of helping people to lose weight.
Naltrexone and Bupropion have a synergy that allows them to work well together so the combination is marketed as a dedicated weight loss medication and distributed under the Contrave brand name.
If you are wondering if Wellbutrin can genuinely help people to lose weight, wonder no more. It can.
Despite its origins as a treatment for depression, doctors sometimes take advantage of Wellbutrins favorable side effect and prescribe it as a weight management medication. They would not do so unless they had faith in its ability to work.
Several studies also support using Wellbutrin for weight loss. Lets take a look at a couple of them.
In 2016, a group of researchers from several prestigious US institutions set out to evaluate the weight loss capabilities of a number of antidepressant medications, including Bupropion. Some of the participants were smokers, others were not.
It was a long-term study that began in January 2006 and ended in October 2009.
By the end of the study, the non-smokers who received Bupropion had achieved an average weight loss of 7.1 pounds. Interestingly, the smokers who were using Bupropion gained an extra 2.2 pounds in weight during the study.
The participants who got the other antidepressant drugs gained weight too. (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27089374/)
In September 2012, Obesity Research published the results of a study that suggests Bupropion is useful for weight maintenance as well as weight loss. In this case, the study period was 24 weeks and 327 obese volunteers took part.
Some of the participants received 300 mg of Bupropion per day. Others got a higher dose of 400 mg per day. As is the case with most studies of this nature, there was also a control group, who were given a placebo.
The research data shows the volunteers who got the 300 mg dose reduced their body weight by an average of 7.2 percent during the 24 weeks, while the higher dose helped the participants to lose 2.8 percent more. However, the study did not end there.
The researchers continued to monitor the participants for a further 24 weeks after they had finished taking Bupropion. The data shows the participants successfully maintained their weight loss during the 24 weeks without the drug. (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1038/oby.2002.86)
Now for the fly in the ointment. Like most medications, Wellbutrin is associated with several side effects, some of them serious.
Fortunately, although the most common Wellbutrin side effects may be unpleasant, they are unusually a cause for concern.
Common side effects include:
Wellbutrin also has the potential to interact unfavorably with certain other medications, so its important to let your physician know if you are taking medicines prescribed via an alternative channel, such as a dental practice.
All the prescription medications that are approved for weight loss have the potential to cause side effects. Thats one of the main reasons so many people prefer to use natural alternatives instead.
All the best natural alternatives to Wellbutrin provide a combination of plant extracts and other natural ingredients. Working in harmony with your body, these extracts reduce appetite and boost energy levels in a similar way to Wellbutrin.
Some of the natural alternatives also share the medications ability to enhance mood. They generally provide additional benefits as well such as faster metabolism and accelerated fat burning.
The best alternatives will generally contain two or more of the following ingredients.
Capsicum pepper extracts are one of the best natural weight loss ingredients in the world. They provide a compound called capsaicin that takes the misery out of weight loss by suppressing hunger.
In addition to controlling hunger capsaicin speeds up metabolism, helping you to burn extra calories and lose weight faster than you could with diet and exercise alone.
Scientists have recently discovered capsicum can further enhance weight loss by activating brown adipose tissue (BAT). This is a special type of fat-burning fat.
Most of the fat in your body is white adipose tissue (WAT). Bat is the fat that encourages it to go away. (https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/95/4/845/4576740)
Capsicum is a powerful ingredient but its fiery nature can make it hard on the stomach. Supplement manufacturers often tackle this issue by using Capsimax.
Capsimax is a high-potency capsicum extract that utilizes a special OmniBead delivery technology that does not release any capsaicin until its too far down the gastrointestinal tract to cause any distress.
There is a mountain of research that shows green tea can boost your metabolism and help you to burn extra fat. Its a natural fat burner that works.
Green tea is also very good for your health. Among other things, it controls the build-up of free radical toxins in the body. These toxins contribute to early aging and can also make your body more susceptible to disease.
Green teas ability to control free radical toxins is due to the natural profusion of antioxidants it contains. These are known as catechins.
Green tea catechins are also the compounds that affect metabolism and help your body to burn more fat. One of the most important catechins is epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG).
Chromium is a mineral you can find in most diet pills. The best ones provide it as chromium picolinate because its the easiest form to absorb.
Ingredient absorption is important because you dont receive any benefits from ingredients if they are unable to pass through your intestinal walls and enter your blood.
Chromium is a popular supplement ingredient because it appears to reduce hunger and food cravings.
Cravings often have nothing to do with hunger. For instance, some people crave sugar and carbs just after their meals.
These cravings are due to elevations in blood sugar and the subsequent battle with insulin. Chromium improves insulin resistance and glucose tolerance.
Many studies support using chromium to control hunger and cravings but theres still a lot to learn. The results of one study suggest chromiums ability to reduce hunger could be due to the way it acts on the brain. (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18715218/)
Nopal (Opuntia ficus-indica) is another ingredient to look for when you are searching for natural alternatives to Wellbutrin. Its a cactus extract. People have been using it to hammer their hunger for thousands of years.
The first people to take advantage of this prickly hunger slayer were Indian tribesmen. Experience had taught them chewing pieces of nopal took their hunger away so they used to take advantage of this ability during long hunting trips.
Like green tea, nopal is high in antioxidants. It provides important amino acids as well.
Part of the reason nopal is so good for controlling hunger may be due to its ability to regulate blood sugar and stop it from spiking.
Research shows nopal also has another interesting ability. Its a fat blocker. Fat is a high-energy food (9 calories per gram) and nopal can reduce the amount of fat your body absorbs. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4109417/)
Caffeine is another ingredient to look out for if you are searching for a safe chemical-free alternative to Wellbutrin. It doesnt just help you to lose weight faster, it can help make your weight loss journey less unpleasant by fighting diet-related fatigue.
Caffeine is a stimulant. Its great for boosting energy levels. Everyone knows that but caffeine is sometimes frowned upon.
However, although its true high doses can make you feel jittery and cause other side effects, when you use it sensibly (unless you are hypersensitive to stimulants) caffeine is okay.
The problem is, in addition to being good for energy, caffeine is also a powerful fat burner and some supplement manufacturers use too much.
The truth is, most of the top-performing weight management supplements have caffeine in them but the manufacturers responsible for them use it sensibly. Generally providing an amount that is similar to that of a cup of coffee.
There is a lot of science that backs up using caffeine as a fat burner and one study, involving obese and post-obese people, shows caffeines ability to boost metabolism by 3-4 percent.
The researchers in charge of the study achieved this by using commonly consumed doses. This study proves its possible to get good results for caffeine without getting heavy-handed and going over the top. (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2912010/)
It is not unusual to use antidepressants for weight loss.
If you only need something to help you lose a few extra pounds, Wellbutrin wont be a suitable choice. It wont be available to you either.
As with similar prescription-only weight loss medications, such as Phentermine and Saxenda, Wellbutrin is only available to people who are extremely overweight or obese or gain weight weight easily.
If your BMI (body mass index) is not sufficiently high, your physician will not offer you a Wellbutrin prescription. Thats the bottom line.
Before prescribing Wellbutrin for weight loss, your physician will also take into account any existing medical problems you have and check how it will react with any medications you are currently using.
If you are not a suitable candidate for Wellbutrin to help against weight gain you could choose to use a natural weight loss supplement instead. You may also want to use an alternative if you have been offered the medication but prefer to keep things natural or want to avoid the risk of side effects.
Even if you do use the medication, its important to be aware it does not work for everyone. Results can vary and some of the natural weight loss alternatives may offer a greater level of support.
- Leaky gut: Green tea may help reduce gut inflammation, blood sugar - Medical News Today - August 5th, 2022
- What is CBD Tea and How it Can Help You - One Green Planet - August 5th, 2022
- 5 Home Remedies for Summer Health Bothers - Woman's World - August 5th, 2022
- The Definitive List of the Best Drinks for High Blood Pressure Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 27th, 2022
- World Hepatitis Day 2022: Best 10 Superfoods For Your Liver To Keep It Clean & Healthy - NDTV - July 27th, 2022
- Novel delivery of green tea extract shows promise against whitespot and AHPND - The Fish Site - July 27th, 2022
- Healthiest Drink In The World? 5 Terrific Health Benefits From Tea, According To Science! - Study Finds - July 27th, 2022
- Tea-based Skin Care Products Market East Asia Region is Expected to Retain its Dominant Position in the Global Due to High Production of Tea in the... - July 27th, 2022
- 8 Best Healthy Drinks, According to Nutritionists - Good Housekeeping - July 27th, 2022
- Skincare tips: Here's how green tea helps in diabetes, anti-ageing, skin cancer - Hindustan Times - July 27th, 2022
- Tea Market Analysis and In-depth study on Market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Regional Forecast to 2027 - Digital Journal - July 27th, 2022
- Every SmartWater Flavor Ranked Worst To Best - Mashed - July 27th, 2022
- 20 Healthy Breakfast Ideas for Weight Loss: Start Your Mornings Right - The Island Now - July 27th, 2022
- The 6 Best Teas To Slow Aging, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 18th, 2022
- Hydration Beyond Water: These Foods And Drinks Are Great To Hydrate Your Body - NDTV Food - July 18th, 2022
- What Vitamins Help With Weight Loss? - The Island Now - July 18th, 2022
- Training your brain to reduce risk of dementia - Axios - July 18th, 2022
- Is green tea good for you? | BBC Good Food - July 10th, 2022
- Health Benefits and Chemical Composition of Matcha Green Tea: A Review - July 10th, 2022
- The Link Between Cytokines and Psoriatic Arthritis - Healthline - July 10th, 2022
- Osteoporosis and osteoarthritis: Definitions, link, and prevention - Medical News Today - July 10th, 2022
- The Lesser-Known Health Benefits of Herbal Teas What You Need To Know - SciTechDaily - July 2nd, 2022
- 6 Best Teas To Boost Metabolism and Lose Weight Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 2nd, 2022
- Healthy And Organic: 5 Latest Trends In Beverages For 2022 - NDTV Food - July 2nd, 2022
- 6 New Iced Tea Flavours You Can Try This Iced Tea Month - NDTV Food - July 2nd, 2022
- 5 Best Drinking Habits for High Blood Pressure, Say Dietitians Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - July 2nd, 2022
- Caffeine and osteoporosis: What is the link? - Medical News Today - July 2nd, 2022
- Are Mushrooms the Next Trendy Coffee Alternative? - The Manual - July 2nd, 2022
- Sip of health: Rainy day beverages to warm you - Hindustan Times - July 2nd, 2022
- Flavoured Tea Market Trends, Share, Industry Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities and Global Forecast By 2029 Designer Women - Designer Women - July 2nd, 2022
- THIS vitamin deficiency can increase your heart disease risk - Times of India - July 2nd, 2022
- Green tea: Not only helps in losing belly fat but also boosts your metabolism - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Iced Tea: Health Benefits Of Consuming This Refreshing Drink | TheHealthSite.com - TheHealthSite - June 21st, 2022
- Nucific Bio X4 Review: Is It The Best Supplement For Weight Loss? - The Island Now - June 21st, 2022
- Amazing Health Benefits of Thyme: A Medicinal Herb - Krishi Jagran - June 21st, 2022
- Baltimore Company Equitea Rolls Out First Batch Of Canned Tea - CBS Baltimore - June 21st, 2022
- Dust tea or whole leaf tea? As debate continues, here's the actual answer | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- Tea Therapy: 5 Natural teas you should try to calm your mind during stress - PINKVILLA - June 21st, 2022
- Ready to drink tea & coffee market expected to deliver dynamic progression | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- From kahwa to tandoori chai, different kinds of teas from across the country - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2022
- Breastfeeding supplements to increase milk supply: Effectiveness and choosing - Medical News Today - June 21st, 2022
- This Herb Shows Promise In Boosting Male Sex Drive & Fertility - mindbodygreen.com - June 21st, 2022
- 2 Types of Super Brain Foods to Defeat Dementia and Alzheimer's - The Epoch Times - June 21st, 2022
- 8 Healthy and Delicious Types of Iced Tea to Make This Summer - AARP - June 12th, 2022
- VitalFlow Reviews - Is it Effective for Prostate Problems? Don't Buy Vital Flow Until You Read This! - MarylandReporter.com - June 12th, 2022
- Are You Including These Essentials in Your Diet? - State-Journal.com - June 12th, 2022
- Ready-to-Drink Tea Market to Forsee Commendable Growth of US$ 70.5 Bn By 2032, Due To Growing Demand for Healthier Substitutes to Carbonated Drinks |... - June 12th, 2022
- Global Health and Wellness Foods Market to Reach $1 Trillion by 2026 - Yahoo Finance - June 12th, 2022
- Mother and daughter's dream teas success - NutraIngredients.com - June 4th, 2022
- 4 Potential Side Effects of the Paleo Diet - Healthline - May 16th, 2022
- Ways to improve your health in less than a minute - Southern Courier - May 16th, 2022
- From Immune Function and Cognition to Cardiovascular Health and Cancer Prevention - Health Benefits of Tea Revealed by Researchers from Across the... - May 3rd, 2022
- The Health Benefits Of Drinking Kombucha - Tasting Table - May 3rd, 2022
- COVID-19 and antibiotic resistance: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2022
- Arthritis: Green tea may help 'block' the production of molecules that cause joint damage - Express - May 3rd, 2022
- 10 Delicious Smoothie Ingredients Dietitians Say Will Boost Your Longevity - Well+Good - May 3rd, 2022
- Not all beverages are bad for diabetes patients. Hibiscus tea, cinnamon drinks keep blood sugar in check - Economic Times - May 3rd, 2022
- 'Brain food': Can eating certain things help prevent dementia? - The Irish Times - May 3rd, 2022
- Skin Care for Rosacea: 7 FAQs About Ingredients, How To, and More - Healthline - May 3rd, 2022
- At 6.0% of CAGR Green Tea Market Share will increase and aimed to cross US$ 21456.2 million in 2027 - Digital Journal - April 20th, 2022
- What Happens to Your Blood Sugar When You Drink Tea Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - April 20th, 2022
- Quercetin: What It Is, How Much You Need, and Where to Find It - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Stir up something refreshing this summer with these iced tea brands in India - Lifestyle Asia India - April 20th, 2022
- Climate change and war are threatening coffee cultivation's future: Study - Egypt Today - April 20th, 2022
- Cuzen Matcha Maker review: How to make matcha with the press of a button - Reviewed - April 20th, 2022
- How to Improve Your Heart Health Quickly and Naturally - Healthline - April 20th, 2022
- Your Guide To Keeping Your Liver Healthy And Fighting Fit All Through The Year - NDTV Swirlster - April 20th, 2022
- Easy exercises for staying fit and managing weight this Ramadan - The Daily Star - April 20th, 2022
- Moringa (Drumstick Tree): Benefits, Safety, Dosage, and More - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Synapse XT Reviews 2022: A Real Tinnitus Supplement Or Fake One? - Blog - The Island Now - April 7th, 2022
- New Hollings head and neck cancer researcher brings expertise in biomarkers and immunotherapy - Medical University of South Carolina - April 7th, 2022
- Which tea has the most caffeine? - Medical News Today - March 26th, 2022
- TestoPrime Review 2022 | Research, Studies & Results on Testo prime - Firstpost - March 26th, 2022
- The Real Reason Green Tea Might Make You Nauseated - Mashed - January 22nd, 2022
- The Most Popular Types Of Oranges Ranked - Tasting Table - January 22nd, 2022
- The 5:2 diet: A popular way of intermittent fasting to lose weight - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- How to live longer: The cholesterol-lowering drink to add disease-free years to your life - Express - December 13th, 2021
- Blood pressure has spiked during the pandemic, but these tips can help you lower yours - PhillyVoice.com - December 13th, 2021
- Cant Fall Asleep? These Vitamin Deficiencies Could Be Behind Your Insomnia - The Better India - December 13th, 2021
- Why You Shouldnt Use Menthol Lozenges If You Have a Sore Throat, According to an ENT Doc - Well+Good - December 13th, 2021