Amounts of caffeine vary between teas, with black tea containing the most. Green and white teas contain the least, except for noncaffeinated teas.
Tea is one of the most popular beverages in the world. It consists of the leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant, which, after harvesting, begin to wilt and oxidize. A person can stop the oxidization process by heating the leaves.
The more tea leaves oxidize, the darker they become, which determines the type of tea:
Black tea is the most popular in the United States and Europe and accounts for about 75% of the worlds tea consumption. In Japan and China, green tea is the most popular. People consume oolong and white tea in lesser amounts worldwide.
In this article, we look at the most caffeinated teas, top healthy teas with no caffeine, and some of the risks involved in consuming too much caffeine.
The amount of caffeine in a tea varies according to the type of tea.
The most caffeinated teas are black and oolong teas, with decaffeinated and herbal teas containing very little to trace amounts of caffeine.
Many teas offer various health benefits, as they contain:
Black contains the highest amount of caffeine, ranging between 64 and 112 milligrams (mg) per 8-fluid ounce (fl oz) serving.
Black tea does not contain calories, fats, protein, fiber, vitamins, or sugar. However, like other teas, it contains health-promoting flavonoids, phytochemicals, flavonols, theanine, and antioxidant properties. Research shows black tea may help with:
Oolong tea contains between 29 and 53 mg of caffeine per 8-fl oz serving.
It contains no fats, sugars, protein, or fiber. Per 100 grams (g), oolong tea has:
Oolong tea may help with weight loss. Research from animal studies suggests that regularly drinking oolong tea and other types of tea may help with weight loss due to the antioxidant EGCG it contains.
It may also help with heart disease, as research shows that oolong tea may lower cholesterol, which can lower the risk of heart disease.
The caffeine in green tea ranges between 24 and 39 mg per 8-fl oz serving.
According to the Department of Agriculture, per 100 g, green tea contains no fats, sugars, or fiber and contains:
Green tea may have health benefits, including:
The caffeine in white tea ranges between 32 and 37 mg per 8-fl oz serving.
White tea is similar in nutrition to green tea and is less processed than black, oolong, and green tea, meaning it retains more antioxidants. It has many of the same benefits as these other teas and may also help with:
These contain less than 12 mg of caffeine per 8-fl oz serving, and many natural herbal teas that are caffeine-free contain no traceable amount of caffeine.
Many teas have zero to trace amounts of caffeine. A person can usually find a decaffeinated version of their favorite black, green, or white tea, including Earl Grey tea, but many herbal teas are naturally caffeine-free. Healthy caffeine-free teas with notable health benefits include the below.
This tea contains no caffeine. Research on animals suggests that rooibos supplements may help protect the liver from oxidative stress and may help lower blood pressure.
Research suggests that hibiscus leaf extracts may offer antitumoral and antioxidant properties and may promote cardiovascular health and healthy blood pressure.
Chamomile tea may help improve sleep in people who experience insomnia. It may also lower cholesterol, improve cardiovascular health, and provide antioxidant protection.
Research states that curcumin, which is in turmeric and gives it its distinct yellow color, improves immune function with antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, and antibacterial properties.
Consuming too much caffeine can cause health problems. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has cited 400 milligrams about 4 or 5 cups of coffee as the maximum recommended amount per day. However, consuming more than this has links to dangerous, negative effects, including:
Some people should avoid or limit their intake of caffeine, including individuals who:
Learn more about the potential risks and dangers of caffeine consumption.
The most caffeinated teas include black, oolong, green, and white teas. These all have potential health benefits, as they contain antioxidants, polyphenols, flavonoids, flavonols, and other health-promoting compounds.
Health benefits of tea include:
If a person wishes to avoid caffeine, which may overstimulate or interact with certain health conditions, decaffeinated varieties of popular teas are usually available. Some teas, including many herbal teas, are naturally caffeine-free. Healthy caffeine-free teas with health benefits include rooibos, hibiscus, and chamomile tea.
See the original post here:
Which tea has the most caffeine? - Medical News Today
- Green tea: Not only helps in losing belly fat but also boosts your metabolism - Times of India - June 21st, 2022
- Iced Tea: Health Benefits Of Consuming This Refreshing Drink | TheHealthSite.com - TheHealthSite - June 21st, 2022
- Nucific Bio X4 Review: Is It The Best Supplement For Weight Loss? - The Island Now - June 21st, 2022
- Amazing Health Benefits of Thyme: A Medicinal Herb - Krishi Jagran - June 21st, 2022
- Baltimore Company Equitea Rolls Out First Batch Of Canned Tea - CBS Baltimore - June 21st, 2022
- Dust tea or whole leaf tea? As debate continues, here's the actual answer | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- Tea Therapy: 5 Natural teas you should try to calm your mind during stress - PINKVILLA - June 21st, 2022
- Ready to drink tea & coffee market expected to deliver dynamic progression | FNB News - fnbnews.com - June 21st, 2022
- From kahwa to tandoori chai, different kinds of teas from across the country - The Indian Express - June 21st, 2022
- Breastfeeding supplements to increase milk supply: Effectiveness and choosing - Medical News Today - June 21st, 2022
- This Herb Shows Promise In Boosting Male Sex Drive & Fertility - mindbodygreen.com - June 21st, 2022
- 2 Types of Super Brain Foods to Defeat Dementia and Alzheimer's - The Epoch Times - June 21st, 2022
- 8 Healthy and Delicious Types of Iced Tea to Make This Summer - AARP - June 12th, 2022
- VitalFlow Reviews - Is it Effective for Prostate Problems? Don't Buy Vital Flow Until You Read This! - MarylandReporter.com - June 12th, 2022
- Are You Including These Essentials in Your Diet? - State-Journal.com - June 12th, 2022
- Ready-to-Drink Tea Market to Forsee Commendable Growth of US$ 70.5 Bn By 2032, Due To Growing Demand for Healthier Substitutes to Carbonated Drinks |... - June 12th, 2022
- Global Health and Wellness Foods Market to Reach $1 Trillion by 2026 - Yahoo Finance - June 12th, 2022
- Mother and daughter's dream teas success - NutraIngredients.com - June 4th, 2022
- 4 Potential Side Effects of the Paleo Diet - Healthline - May 16th, 2022
- Ways to improve your health in less than a minute - Southern Courier - May 16th, 2022
- From Immune Function and Cognition to Cardiovascular Health and Cancer Prevention - Health Benefits of Tea Revealed by Researchers from Across the... - May 3rd, 2022
- The Health Benefits Of Drinking Kombucha - Tasting Table - May 3rd, 2022
- COVID-19 and antibiotic resistance: What is the link? - Medical News Today - May 3rd, 2022
- Arthritis: Green tea may help 'block' the production of molecules that cause joint damage - Express - May 3rd, 2022
- 10 Delicious Smoothie Ingredients Dietitians Say Will Boost Your Longevity - Well+Good - May 3rd, 2022
- Not all beverages are bad for diabetes patients. Hibiscus tea, cinnamon drinks keep blood sugar in check - Economic Times - May 3rd, 2022
- 'Brain food': Can eating certain things help prevent dementia? - The Irish Times - May 3rd, 2022
- Skin Care for Rosacea: 7 FAQs About Ingredients, How To, and More - Healthline - May 3rd, 2022
- At 6.0% of CAGR Green Tea Market Share will increase and aimed to cross US$ 21456.2 million in 2027 - Digital Journal - April 20th, 2022
- What Happens to Your Blood Sugar When You Drink Tea Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - April 20th, 2022
- Quercetin: What It Is, How Much You Need, and Where to Find It - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Stir up something refreshing this summer with these iced tea brands in India - Lifestyle Asia India - April 20th, 2022
- Climate change and war are threatening coffee cultivation's future: Study - Egypt Today - April 20th, 2022
- Cuzen Matcha Maker review: How to make matcha with the press of a button - Reviewed - April 20th, 2022
- How to Improve Your Heart Health Quickly and Naturally - Healthline - April 20th, 2022
- Your Guide To Keeping Your Liver Healthy And Fighting Fit All Through The Year - NDTV Swirlster - April 20th, 2022
- Easy exercises for staying fit and managing weight this Ramadan - The Daily Star - April 20th, 2022
- Moringa (Drumstick Tree): Benefits, Safety, Dosage, and More - Everyday Health - April 20th, 2022
- Synapse XT Reviews 2022: A Real Tinnitus Supplement Or Fake One? - Blog - The Island Now - April 7th, 2022
- New Hollings head and neck cancer researcher brings expertise in biomarkers and immunotherapy - Medical University of South Carolina - April 7th, 2022
- TestoPrime Review 2022 | Research, Studies & Results on Testo prime - Firstpost - March 26th, 2022
- The Real Reason Green Tea Might Make You Nauseated - Mashed - January 22nd, 2022
- The Most Popular Types Of Oranges Ranked - Tasting Table - January 22nd, 2022
- The 5:2 diet: A popular way of intermittent fasting to lose weight - The Indian Express - December 26th, 2021
- How to live longer: The cholesterol-lowering drink to add disease-free years to your life - Express - December 13th, 2021
- Blood pressure has spiked during the pandemic, but these tips can help you lower yours - PhillyVoice.com - December 13th, 2021
- Cant Fall Asleep? These Vitamin Deficiencies Could Be Behind Your Insomnia - The Better India - December 13th, 2021
- Why You Shouldnt Use Menthol Lozenges If You Have a Sore Throat, According to an ENT Doc - Well+Good - December 13th, 2021
- Keoni CBD Gummies Reviews - ( Scam Or Legit ) Is It Worth For You? - Kent Reporter - November 27th, 2021
- 12 of the best items to include in a chemo care package - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- Isolated systolic hypertension: Definition, symptoms, and more - Medical News Today - November 27th, 2021
- Should You Take Green Tea at Night or Right Before Hitting Bed? Here's What we Know - India.com - October 19th, 2021
- It's Official: Green Tea Is Basically a Miracle Health Beverage - Yahoo Lifestyle - October 19th, 2021
- Keoni CBD Gummies Reviews - ( Scam Or Legit ) Is It Worth For You? - The Daily World - October 19th, 2021
- Alzheimers Q&A: Can drinking tea reduce the risk of cognitive decline in older adults? - The Advocate - October 19th, 2021
- Heart attack: Best diet to improve cardiometabolic benefits and reduce risk new study - Daily Express - October 19th, 2021
- Dr. Amy Lee's Nucific BIO-X4 Has Over 5,000 Positive Reviews 4-in-1 probiotic helps support gut health while reducing unhealthy cravings - PRNewswire - October 19th, 2021
- Bloating: Causes, Tips to Debloat, and More - Healthline - October 19th, 2021
- What foods and drinks will make us feel healthier? - The Jerusalem Post - October 8th, 2021
- What Is the Portfolio Diet, and Does It Lower Cholesterol? - Healthline - July 26th, 2021
- 50 Health Tips Every Man Should Know - 24/7 Wall St. - July 26th, 2021
- Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice: Drink it For Sleep Apnea - The Beet - July 11th, 2021
- What is phytotherapy; know everything about its healthy side - Times of India - July 11th, 2021
- EXPLAINER: Partial to a cup of coffee or tea? Here's all you need to know about caffeine! - Leinster Leader - July 11th, 2021
- Do Detox Diets Work? Here's How to Do it the Healthy Way - The Beet - July 1st, 2021
- Health Benefits of Celery Juice: Should You Try it? - The Beet - July 1st, 2021
- Teabags For Sunburn Relief - How To Apply Tea On Sunburns - Women's Health - June 15th, 2021
- Dry Scooping Pre-workout Powder Is the Latest Dangerous Trend to Hit TikTok - Self - June 15th, 2021
- Number of siblings and cardiovascular health: Study explores link - Medical News Today - June 2nd, 2021
- Green Tea Market Demand Analysis in 2020, Global Revenue, Top Companies Growth Forecast to 2027 Renewable Energy Zone - Renewable Energy Zone - June 2nd, 2021
- Monk fruit: Benefits, how to eat, and more - Medical News Today - June 2nd, 2021
- International Tea Day: 5 Myths About Tea You Should Stop Believing Today - NDTV Food - May 22nd, 2021
- Best Anti-Inflammatory FoodsPlus What To Avoid - Forbes - May 22nd, 2021
- Changing consumer taste, increasing health concerns, and growing in product offering continues to fuel green tea market globally The Courier - The... - May 22nd, 2021
- Can Too Much Sleep Cause Depression? What To Know - Healthline - May 22nd, 2021
- 7 Foods and Drinks That May Cause Cloudy Urine - Healthline - May 22nd, 2021
- Wellbutrin Weight Loss - Bupropion Antidepressants that Cause Weight Loss - L.A. Weekly - May 22nd, 2021
- Popular Drinks That Are Wrecking Your Body, Say Dietitians - Eat This, Not That - May 22nd, 2021
- The Secrets of Potentiating The Natural Kratom - UrbanMatter - May 22nd, 2021
- Nutraceuticals Market Size, Demand, Competitive Analysis, Regional Growth and Forecast by 2025 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - May 22nd, 2021